gear for color correction

Posted by Dean R 
gear for color correction
August 28, 2008 07:29PM
I was very intrigued by this article about CC'ing a feature film using FCP and magic Bullet Looks.

[lifezero.typepad.com]

We're shooting a ten minute promo trailer in preparation for a feature film, and want to test a similar workflow. We'll be shooting on a Viper FilmStream and recording to HDCAM SR. The entire budget for the eventual feature will be under $150K, so DIY color correcting seems to be the way to go. I'm just beginning to research this, and thought I'd start here.

We'll have a brand new MacPro setup, but my question is what gear can I use for playing back and viewing the 1920x1080,10 bit 4:2:2 HDCAM SR signal. I'm just talking about playback only. We'll pay to have a facility do our input and output. I don't intend to even touch an SR deck.

A Kona 3 card is affordable for us, but a really high end monitor probably isn't. And I want to view a full rez image. What can we get away with?

Is the Matrox 2 combined with a 30" ACD a good idea?

Any specific recommendations for hard drives? Looks like we'll need a fast RAID, at least 2 TB for the whole feature, according to AJA's storage calculator.

Any advice about this workflow would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics