Using Qmaster with Shake

Posted by AHintenach 
Using Qmaster with Shake
September 03, 2008 05:32PM
I am trying to network two macs in order to amp up my processing power for Shake rendering among other things. I have Leopard v. 10.5.4 installed on both computers, and I have them connected through a firewire 800 9pin cord.

I have read other blogs saying that Qmaster doesn't really work with Leopard, so I know this is probably impossible to do. I have spent two nights so far trying to get the network to work. The two computers (iMac 2.16ghz dual, 3gb ram, 500gb hd, 254mb graphics/Macbook Pro 2.5ghz dual, 4gb ram, 200gb hd, 512mb graphics) know the other one is there. The problem is, when I submit the batches, nothing really happens. Another question, how do I get them to render a flipbook? If anything, are there any other solutions I could use to link my two computers?
Re: Using Qmaster with Shake
September 04, 2008 07:56AM
To start with forget about firewire and hook the two macs together over ethernet.
when you create the cluster in the Qmaster setup is it definitely seeing both machines? (id be surprised if they were communicating happily over firewire!!)
September 04, 2008 09:33AM
The funny thing about this is, right before I put this posting on I went to some IT guys here at Penn State. They said that fire wire would probably be the best way to transmit such a data load. I actually went to talk to them about buying crossover ethernet cable. That shows how much they know... (and I know...)

Even still, both machines do recognize that the other one is there. I even got to the point where I could submit a batch, although I don't think the secondary computer was actually working on it, based on the data readout.

I will go get a crossover ethernet cable ASAP. Thanks. Any other suggestions?
September 04, 2008 09:52AM
They're not totally insane. Firewire is considerably faster than 100-megabit Ethernet, which is what most PCs are still hobbled with. But your Mac have gigabit, which in turn is faster than Firewire.

Also, you don't need a crossover cable. For years and years, Macs have had Ethernet ports that automatically detect whether they're plugged into another computer or into a network device, and configure themselves. Just use any old Ethernet cable. It'll work fine.

September 04, 2008 02:12PM
Thanks for the info! I have one more question about this... I have a CAT 5E cable for the setup now. Should I be using this CAT5E cable or a CAT6, in order to get the best out of the gigabit? I know that 5E is good for most people, but considering the job I am trying to do (render something that would normally take upwards of six hours on my iMac), would it be necessary for me to upgrade?
September 04, 2008 02:21PM
Over such a short cable run? You can practically use a straightened-out coat hanger. Over three or four feet, any non-pet-chewed Ethernet cable will work just fine.

September 04, 2008 02:32PM
Your Macs have Gigabit Ethernet so use CAT 6 as its designed to carry the greater bandwidth with lower noise.

CAT 5E might work fine but its not designed to carry 1000BaseT (Gigabit Ethernet).

I have 2 of my Macs hooked up via a 30m CAT 6 Crossover cable in case I want to put one in another room...

Use a Crossover cable if you go Mac to Mac.

Straight Ethernet Patch Cables if going via a Hub.

Remember your Hub must be 1000BaseT as well or it will create a bottleneck.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 07, 2008 10:30AM
Thanks for all the help guys!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics