HDV to 422 to Web... major issues

Posted by nicknasty 
HDV to 422 to Web... major issues
September 07, 2008 02:00PM
I am new to HDV stuff. Captured some HDV (Sony 1080i) footage to Prores 422 as described in this article: [www.kenstone.net]

I am having real problems with the quality:

- major interlacing artifacts regardless of my sequence settings (even or odd field first, doesn't seem to cure this). Picture quality is fine on the FCP, not on QT. (hi-res QT setting is on)

- Web -compression (using QT conversion, Broadband med) cures interlacing to certain extent (some still remains) but the footage is clearly "softer" and lacks the detail when compared to same compression scheme applied to DVCam (with in-camera downconversion from the same HDV originals).

- Even with manually adjusted full (25) framerate my web ready stuff still skips frames and looks jumpy, especially with rapid zooms or screen action. No such problems with DVCam.

What did I miss ??
Re: HDV to 422 to Web... major issues
September 07, 2008 02:03PM
Those aren't "interlacing artifacts." That's just interlacing. If your destination is Internet video, you should always shoot progressive.

September 07, 2008 11:59PM
You can always select [deinterlace] in the movie properties in Quicktime -that is what I normally do.

Don't forget to save afterwards -and make sure the clip is set to [Actual Size] before you save as that can cause problems in some apps.
September 08, 2008 12:52AM
You can deinterlace in Compressor as well (if you don't find it too intimidating), or this

[www.xs4all.nl]

and encode with QT pro or this which comes with a free trial

[www.dvcreators.net]

www.strypesinpost.com
September 08, 2008 04:51AM
Or use blend fields filter on a copy of your master from the Too Much Too Soon FCP filters which are free...

[www.mattias.nu]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 08, 2008 09:44AM
Thanx for the responses but De-interlacing is really not an issue here.

What I am seeing is a quality hit caused by HDV to 422 to Web. Shouldn't ProRes be a better way instead of straight HDV ingestion? Is it possible that while 422 might improve the quality on DVD it somehow works poorly with web scaling and massive compression?
September 08, 2008 11:40AM
Post a screenshot of it.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics