Problems Logging and Capturing HD into Final Cut Pro

Posted by Jeanne Rawlings 
Problems Logging and Capturing HD into Final Cut Pro
September 10, 2008 11:46AM
Hi,
Can anyone help me out there? I've got a student in my Final Cut Pro class who's trying to capture his video footage he shot at 24p HD (a JVC GR1 HD 1 camera). We've tried every configuration in the book and the best we've come up with is: Final Cut pro begins to capture, but runs past the "out" point set, and eventually (after much processor noise) says "error".

Last semester, this student was told he needed to down-convert to DV in order to edit in Final Cut Pro (we've got version 6.0.4 at the university here in Chico, CA). I hate to be such an unhelpful professor, but I'm really stumped on this one. Any help from Los Angeles professionals? Thanks so much for any advice - even if it's to confirm that "yeah, you've gotta drop down to DV" ...) Thanks in advance for any replies! Jeanne
Re: Problems Logging and Capturing HD into Final Cut Pro
September 10, 2008 01:16PM
24P? I'm a PAL guy, so read this to see if the 24 fps stuff is captured correctly.

[www.lafcpug.org]

>We've tried every configuration in the book and the best we've come up with is: Final Cut pro
>begins to capture, but runs past the "out" point set, and eventually (after much processor noise)
>says "error".

1. are the drives formatted to the OS X extended (HFS+)?

2. It's HDV? Try this [library.creativecow.net]

www.strypesinpost.com
September 12, 2008 10:07PM
I'm certainly not an expert on that camera, but I've seen a picture where the 'iilink out' hole had an option to do Dv or MPEG2. What happens if you change this to DV?

Probably it would work in iMovie, if it's DV stream.

September 13, 2008 01:37AM
I saw this on a review.

''Unfortunately, editing footage shot with the HD1 isn't quite as convenient. Material recorded in DV format can be edited with any standard application, but at the present time, video shot in the proprietary progressive modes can be edited only with JVC's included Windows-based MPEG Edit Studio Pro 1.0 LE. ''

Never mind...i didnt saw when it was written...in 2005...must work now on FCP...sorry.
September 13, 2008 10:59AM
Hello all -

First of all, thank you for your suggestions. We tried them all! No luck until.... by happenstance, my student plugged in his camera and began playing it, prior to launching FCP. It worked!!!!!!!!!!! This ultimately pointed to strype's suggestion (the Creativecow link in strype's reply) and for that, I am especially thankful:

Here's a quote from Chris Poisson's article at [library.creativecow.net]

"Capture set-up
"Make sure your camera or deck is properly set up for FireWire capture. In the case of my Canon, it must be set to HDV playback standard and plugged in and turned on before going to log and capture."

Thanks to LAFCPUG once again to helping me out.

Jeanne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics