Canon hv20/30 workflow

Posted by Dale Kutzera 
Canon hv20/30 workflow
September 02, 2008 07:05PM
Hi,
I've searched the boards, but haven't found a workflow for this camera. I have a hv20 and just curious if the cinema 24 p mode should be used or the 60i mode. I'll be editing in FCP 6 and ultimately outputting to dvd, not film. So maybe the 24p cinema mode is not for me?

DK
Re: Canon hv20/30 workflow
September 02, 2008 07:44PM
Use the 24p mode. The footage that this camera writes to tape is regular old 24p (with a 1/48 shutter, if you choose) with 3:2 pulldown inserted. There's no automatic way to remove the pulldown, but there's an almost automatic way. Simply log-and-capture your footage over Firewire as you normally would, then run the resulting clips through a Compressor preset to convert them to ProRes 422, using the "reverse telecine" deinterlacing option. The resulting footage looks great. You can cut it into a 23.976 ProRes 422 timeline in Final Cut, and you can burn it to DVD as 23.976, relying on the player to insert pulldown if necessary on playback. You get better looking footage, and a much easier workflow.

I have an HV30 that I use myself as a B cam, and this is how I shoot with it. It works great.

September 03, 2008 11:25AM
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it and will try out this workflow. I had wondered about how to go about deinterlacing and re-interlacing.

DK
September 03, 2008 11:36AM
Re-interlacing isn't something you ever need to worry about on a Final Cut system. First of all, Final Cut does it really poorly in software; it won't insert a standard 3:2 pulldown cadence. Secondly, you're either going to go out as a Quicktime, which shouldn't have pulldown added; or a DVD, which shouldn't have pulldown added; or videotape, where pulldown gets added by your Kona board automatically.

September 07, 2008 02:24PM
Jeff, could I ask you about the hv30, please?
-Is the zoom "touch sensitive"?
-When attaching another mic (i assume the built in one is not that good), do you still hace room (shoe) for a light?

Thanks!

Johnny
September 07, 2008 02:26PM
Sorry, I'm not qualified to answer those questions. I very rarely actually operate that camera. I only use it as a B-cam, so it's always in somebody else's hands while I'm operating the XL H1.

September 07, 2008 03:30PM
Very helpful, thanks!

Johnny
September 15, 2008 05:26PM
I found a nice workflow article on the apple website:

[support.apple.com]

I went through this process and am still not sure about the specifics of what is happening: I'm shooting in the HDV 24p Cinema mode. Then I capture in FCP 6 and the resulting clips in the browser window say they have a vid rate of 29.97. I put these clips through compressor using the ProRes 422 codec and then import that file into FCP and sure enough the clip has a 23.98 vid rate.

Here's the kicker...the new file is three times the size...from just under 3 GB to over 10GB. Zonkers. Am I doing that right?

DK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics