Still images originally taken vertically are imported in the horizontal position

Posted by Nick Munning 
Still images originally taken vertically are imported in the horizontal position
September 23, 2008 04:57PM
I'm a newbie to this forum and FCP so please reply in simple terms. I use Photoshop to manage my pics. When I take a portrait shot (vertical position) it comes out in PS in the Landscape (horizontal) position so I use PS to rotate it to the vertical position for viewing. However, when I import them into FCP they come out horizontally rather than vertically (which is the position in which we want to view them). I can't find any way in which I can rotate them in the FCP program. Is there anything I can do before importing them? HELP! Thanks, Nick
Re: Still images originally taken vertically are imported in the horizontal position
September 23, 2008 05:06PM
Look in the Viewer, Motion tab.

Hey Jude and Mike, I thought we'd put this in the FAQ?

www.derekmok.com
Re: Still images originally taken vertically are imported in the horizontal position
September 23, 2008 05:13PM
Not that. Just how to deal with picts and importing into FCP. Seems to me all one has to do is do a save as from PS and import into FCP. Not sure why it goes back to landscape mode

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 23, 2008 05:45PM
Are you saving it in PS after you rotate it? Might sound like a silly question, but that's all I can think of, that you rotated it in PS but didn't then save it. Or you saved to a different name or place but loaded the original into FCP by mistake. I do what you're trying to do (successfully) all the time.

Scott
September 23, 2008 05:48PM
Thanks, Guys, I'll look into Motion when I get home as I'm not at my Mac at work (I wish it were my work - hopefully someday!). Will it be self explanatory when I get there or will there be steps to take? I've not gotten into Motion yet. This is my first project (for myself). Thanks again, Nick
September 23, 2008 05:53PM
Ya Know! Maybe I really haven't saved each one in PS although I thought I was. I usually rotate them as a group, and they stay that way when I reopen PS, but I don't actually save each one. You may have the answer. I'll post the results later tonight. Thanks, Scott.
September 23, 2008 05:53PM
Not Motion (the software); just the Motion tab in Final Cut Pro's Viewer window. Look when you get there.

www.derekmok.com
September 23, 2008 07:38PM
Gottcha! - thanks - Nick
September 24, 2008 04:09AM
Derek brings up a good point-- I hear Motion, the software, is becoming favored for photoanimation due to superior image handling. I'd like opinions about this from folks who use both FCP and Motion for photos and photomotion.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Apply your default audio transition instantly
with Command-Option - T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
September 24, 2008 11:42AM
Okay, you guys are great! Yes Scott, by manually saving it prevented the picture from reverting to the original position taken by the camera. And yes, Derek, I found how to use the Motion tab to rotate the pic. Also, Loren, I will also look into the software Motion (which I do have but haven't used as I am just learning FCP) because at present, I work exclusively with still images. Thanks again everyone, Nick
September 24, 2008 01:22PM
FYI - Scott has the answer. See below. I wasn't actually saving each pic as I rotated it. Also, Derek turned me onto the Motion tab that also works. I found out that I can drag a pic out of Bridge into FCP. Thanks for your help. Nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics