OT: D-SLR Movies...

Posted by Ben King 
OT: D-SLR Movies...
September 03, 2008 05:19AM
I'm quite impressed - although I'd like to see the full workflow and the full quality of the captured images....

[chsvimg.nikon.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
RJ
Re: OT: D-SLR Movies...
September 03, 2008 08:22AM
It is impressive, but... only 24p and you have to physically hold down a button if you want to lock the exposure during movie capture, no manual exposure mode - the deal breaker for me. It does bode of future things to come. The hot rumor is that the, to be released later in the year, Canon 5D Mark II will have a HD video mode.

-Russ
September 03, 2008 08:32AM
Yeah I was going post say something about the 5D update but I couldn't find anything concrete.

A step in the right direction but a step too short I think...

...with only 720p24 its not going to be a deal clincher for video although as you say - future of things to come!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 03, 2008 09:17AM
kinda makes a fella start to think "red-schmed"...
September 03, 2008 10:40AM
Isn't this what Red is doing only at higher resolution? Essentially the Red cam is a Video DSLR, isn't it? Well, more complicated than that...but

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 03, 2008 11:04AM
That's what I was thinking, Michael. It seems like this sort of thing and the Scarlet are converging on a common point from opposite directions. The killer, as we all know, is data throughput. Even at the insane compressions required to get 4K down to 36 MB/s, the Red One requires either an attached hard drive or very, very fast CF cards. I understand the sensor-to-recorder bandwidth will be improved considerably with Epic, but the bottleneck is still going to be the recording medium. Hard drives are fast but bulky and fragile; solid state is reliable but slow. At least for now; it is getting faster.

The hard part is workflow, though. With still photography, the tools have gotten good enough that you can keep your pictures raw until you're ready to commit them to a lower bit depth. But when you're dealing with 24 or more pictures per second, it's harder to keep everything raw through the whole editing process.

I think we're starting to see a sea change in the way video is acquired digitally, though. We're moving away from simulating film poorly, and into an exploration of what digital sensors really do best. I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

September 04, 2008 08:54AM
Apparently from the D90:

[eyevio.jp]
September 04, 2008 09:01AM
WOOOOAH Seeeerious CMOS Sensor Rolling Shutter issues on that - like watching JelloCam?

September 04, 2008 09:05AM
Yup, big jelly.

RED is more of a video DSLR than this is, as, of course, the D90 doesn't do RAW. Times are a changing...

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
September 27, 2008 03:39PM
Yeah, how about the movie shot on Canon 5D MkII by Vincent Laforet:
[blog.vincentlaforet.com]

and talking about RED, the re-do of the scarlet!!
[www.scarletuser.com]

Times are a changin' indeed!

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
September 27, 2008 03:59PM
[www.usa.canon.com] for footage. Doesn't stand up as well when it's full size. The compression is quite artifacty. For jello:

Anyone tried to colour correct this h.264 stuff yet?? Is it as bad to do so as we'd guess?

Graeme
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics