getting an 8mm look in FCP

Posted by tranquiyote 
getting an 8mm look in FCP
May 22, 2006 02:37PM
Hey folks,
I want to age two short segments in a short film I shot on the DVX100A at 24p. I have already adjusted the first segment to look like early film stock/poor lens (well Kind of-no scratches, watermakrks, etc). What I did is mess with the desaturation, brightness, radial blur, then put a blink filter on it. Blink Specs...On duration 2.5, off duration 1, opacity 83. I'm happy with this look for now and might do some after effects work for scrathches and the like.

Ready for the question? What effects might I use to get a common 8mm look? I'm not looking to buy a bunch of plug-ins but am curious and happy to find the look through trial and error. I checked out...

the Eureka plugins
[www.kafwang.com]

I'm aware that Graeme sells a similar product (dead link)
[www.nattress.com]

So any suggestions? Thanks a ton-Pete

G4 Quicksilver (2001): OS 10.4.8, 867 MHz processor (single), 768 RAM, 133 MHz bus, FCP 5.1.2
Anonymous User
Re: getting an 8mm look in FCP
May 22, 2006 03:21PM
Nattress is best. Here is the link

[www.nattress.com]

I got to update that link myself. Thanks for the heads up

May 22, 2006 04:16PM
[proapptips.com]

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
May 22, 2006 04:53PM
i bought the nattress suite a few months ago and it made ALL the difference in a video that i just wrapped up.

best $100 that you will ever spend. it has a ton of great presets and is also customizable as hell!
May 22, 2006 08:03PM
another thing to do:

add a STROBE filter, set to 1.5.

this will make your 24 fps look more like 16fps

8mm was 16fps,
Super8 was 18 or 24

there is a strobe filter in FCP. not sure if there is one in the Nattress plugin?
wheat there IS in Natress is a vignette filter, which will give you a "filmed off the wall" hot-spot

you can also download a free Vignette filter here:
[www.haiku.com.au]

cheers,
nick

May 24, 2006 11:17PM
You could also go the sepia efx from the spefx bin of FCP5 and overlap 5% to 10% of noise to give it some texture.
Scratches and out of registration sprockets I guess you may have to try Motion2 (Im just started to learn that puppie) But there was an efx called earthquake that could throw some frames out of balance...(in Motion2)
Daniel
www.televisionworks.

Televisionworks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics