Problem on capture tape on timecode 00:00:00:00

Posted by ycngjack1 
Problem on capture tape on timecode 00:00:00:00
September 28, 2008 04:10AM
Guys,

im having a problem as described above. The weird thing is, i have 10 sec black in front, means my tape actually start at 23:59:50:00, have enough preroll times for me, when i set the batch, in point at tc 00:00:00:00, its cant locate the timecode no matter how much rollover time i set, neither 3, 5sec, however, the strange things is the tc can be located if the in point is at 23:59:59:23 or 23:59:59:24, or even 00:00:00:01, 00:00:00:02 also can locate the tc. That the weird things, its apply on every tape i put in.

now my 2nd suite encountered tis situation, as per i said, my tape log inpoint is 00:00:00:00 and output will be 00:02:00:00, let say from 00:00:00:00 to 00:00:59:24 is black, 00:01:00:00 start visual, but when i click on the footage i captured, it shows tat my clip start the visual on 00:00:59:24 ....=.=" its like automatically cut out 1 black frame....anyone encountered tat? sigh

and another new problem, its the same with 23:59:29:++ tc problem, as i told, previosuly i can set the tc in point at thr, n outpoint at any, let say out point at 00:00:10:00, after i set the outpoint, the in point automatically change to 00:00:00:00...=.=" headahce right? then i go set again my new in point, let say 23:59:55:00, now the turn the outpoint shifted to 23:59:55:00....>.<: oh that terrible....i wonder how come fcp got so much problem,...=.=" do u guys have any or email tat i can straight email to apple fcp technical department to solve out bugs? Besides, is thr possibiity my computer got virus? =.=" even though i think this is very very low chance
Re: Problem on capture tape on timecode 00:00:00:00
September 28, 2008 05:54AM
nothing weird going on here.

no time-code based system can cope with a jump to 00.00.00.00.
it's read as a timecode break.

sorry, but i stopped reading your post half way though as it seemed to degenerate in to some sort of mush.
if you want people to respond to your posts,
make them easy to read, with clear sentences and meaning.
sound like a bore, dont i?
but we're all in the communications game.

cheers,
nick
September 28, 2008 09:43AM
I agree with Nick. This isn't text messaging. Please write clearly, and don't use short-form words you create yourself. If you don't take the time to outline your problem in coherent language, you shouldn't expect people to help you with coherent answers. Or would you rather have people give you an answer like "TC sys no deal w/ z its tc brk"?

Any time you're dealing with a tape source, I usually don't allow In points to start any earlier than 00:00:05:00. This is why, if you're dealing with a broadcast tape, then the first frame of picture should have been 01:00:00:00, not 00:00:00:00. Somebody messed up in prepping your tape.

If you absolutely need those few seconds around the 00:00:00:00 timecode, redub the tape to another tape while writing new timecode.

www.derekmok.com
September 28, 2008 09:45AM
I think the custom is to black tapes starting at 00:58:00:00 or thereabouts, so you lay down something on the order of two minutes of black before the 01:00:00:00 mark. Your tape was blacked incorrectly; rolling over from 23:whatever to 00 is something decks won't deal with very well.

The correct solution here is to dub your tape to a properly blacked tape, making sure to dub picture and sound only, leaving the timecode on the properly blacked tape alone. This will lay your audio and video tracks down on a tape that won't cause your deck to scream and run and hide under the bed.

If that doesn't suit you for whatever reason, you can just capture it into Final Cut using a non-controllable-device preset and "capture now." That's not optimal, since you'll never be able to go back and batch re-capture any of that footage without device control.

September 28, 2008 10:40AM
1. Make the post more legible next time... I won't be able to figure out what you're saying without the other brave mods giving their reply first. yawning smiley

2. It's weird that you are given footage that starts at 00:00:00:00. You can't do it. You need to give them 3-5 seconds of pre-roll at the very least, and you can't jump to 00:00:00:00 in the middle of a shot (at least I don't think so).

Where i am (this usually differs between stations), delivery tapes for full eps start at 10:00:00:00, with bars, tone, slate, countdown, 2-pop, 2 seconds of black all before that. Promos and commercials start at 00:02:00:00, with at least 30 seconds of black in between the different versions and they start on a clean minute.

3. "00:01:00:00 start visual, but when i click on the footage i captured, it shows tat my clip start the visual on 00:00:59:24"

Timecode offset. Are you capturing via an RS-422 controlled device? If the timecode is similar between the tape and the capture, make sure you offset the timecode before you capture.
[docs.info.apple.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
enough
September 28, 2008 12:58PM
This kid already posted 2 days ago on the Apple discussions list, and got more than enough help there before he posted the same stuff here.

He does not want to learn, he wants others to solve his problems.

Time to put an end to it...

Bouke
Re: enough
September 28, 2008 02:00PM
Thanks bouke for pointing that out.

Empowered by google, I found the thread. Here it is in case anyone wants to learn anything more:

[discussions.apple.com]

To add to one of the responses from the Apple thread (good point, though), he's working in a PAL region, so the dropframe timecode scenario doesn't apply.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: OKOK
September 29, 2008 01:49AM
OKOK guys, thanks for commenting. Firstly, we all on the way to learn new things, saying me doesn't wan to learn is absolutely wrong. Isnt it ^^.

Reply to bouke- im not only posted one here, i also posted on other 2 forum instead of Apple discussion, thr are possibilities that some ppl doenst knwo the existence of that forum, so its not too bad to try.

Reply to strypes, Jeff Harrell, derekmok, Nick Meyers- Thanks for sharing and i will now stop generate timecode wit 23:59:50:00. I believe such problem will be avoided next time.

I apologize the way i written out my contents, im really sorry, but still i wanna thank u all cause sharing your opinions and experiences. All i heard from here surely do help in future path on using fcp. May this thread helps other who face it in future. Cheers buddy
September 29, 2008 04:09AM
Good. Peace out.

Bouke
September 29, 2008 06:33AM
Hey man it ain't difficult to do - just make it:

A. Easy to read

B. Short and to the point

C. Spaced out so that it doesn't look like you killed the white space with a dictionary

D. Use bullet points/lists so it gives us a chance to see the key setup/issues

E. Where necessary, try to include the system hardware and software including versions so we can assess if it might be a bug or incompatibility.

Also, in future, out of courtesy...

If you post on here and other forums you ought to let us know if you get feedback. None of us are paid for this advice, so don't waste our free time by making us repeat answers that you have already been given!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 29, 2008 08:23AM
Also, you get much better answers here if you ply us with promises of cookies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics