EX1 cam FCP and slow motion ?

Posted by Emmetreddy 
EX1 cam FCP and slow motion ?
October 02, 2008 06:58AM
Hi all i have to edit a project next week and the camera man has suggested shooting slow mo at 16fps using the EX1 cam, he says it looks great and im sure it does but hes also asked me if i can adjust the speed to make it look like normal speed in places, is this possible? I know i can speed it up a bit and try to make it look normal but i have a funny feeling I will have issues?
So i was wondering is it worth the hassle does it look that good? i.e. super slow mo hd good?
Should i just tell him to shoot normal and i will adjust the speed in FCP or perhaps optical flow in motion?
If anyone has any advice id appreciate it
Thanks Emmet
Re: EX1 cam FCP and slow motion ?
October 02, 2008 07:47AM
>and the camera man has suggested shooting slow mo at 16fps

What is he smoking? If he's shooting slow mo, he should be increasing the frame rate, not decreasing it. Shoot 60p, and conform to 29.97...

www.strypesinpost.com
October 02, 2008 07:56AM
Shooting digital slow-mo is tricky if your camera lacks explicit support for high speed frame rates, like the Red does. Like Strypes said, you can shoot 720p60 and conform it, with Cinema Tools, down to 23.976. That works very well. But it's not a variable frame rate trick; it's a single high speed setting.

In-camera speed ramps are impossible on something like the EX1. The camera just won't do it.

But you can fake it by shooting the whole sequence at a high frame rate, then dropping frames in post. I haven't tried it personally, but you might consider shooting a test at 60p, conforming it down to 24p, then retiming sections of it with and without optical flow to see what gives you the best results.

October 02, 2008 08:13AM
Yipes... What was I saying... yes. Conform it down to 24p.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 02, 2008 08:18AM
I'm a rebel. I conform my slow-mo footage down to 22p and make Final Cut sort it out.

October 02, 2008 01:07PM
Hi guys thanks for the response ive asked if he can shoot the scene slomo and normal but they can only shoot it once and the director is mad for the slomo, so fingers crossed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics