choosing a good camera for easy workflow in FCP

Posted by dom 
dom
choosing a good camera for easy workflow in FCP
October 01, 2008 08:13PM
Hi All,

So I used to be a Sony Z1 kinda guy until I had it pinched from the boot of my car. Its now time to buy a new camera and i'm quite confused with all the new HD models and SS card systems on the market. I've recently used the Sony EX1 which was very impressive but it's quite restrictive by having a fixed lens. I've been told by someone to look at the JVC ProHD range but they still use HDV tapes. Does anyone have any good tips or experience regarding the above. I've got about $8000 AUS ($6,328US) to spend.
Thanks guys
Dom
Re: choosing a good camera for easy workflow in FCP
October 01, 2008 09:02PM
i am a tried and true dvcproHD user. the P2 card IS absolutely THE most elegant workflow ive ever been part of!

i had an hvx200 that i loved, but sold in anticipation of the HPX170 (which i received on tuesday)
best all-around cameras ive ever used. fixed lens? yes. but i have a brevis 35mm adapter that really opens up creative options lens wise.

i tried the Z1 and the canon and jvc HDV cams and i just cant tolerate the workflow or image artifacting. and the rolling shutter of the Ex1 makes it a total non-starter for me.

as far as all-around camera for just about any situation - AND at your dollar value, i say it's panasonic all the way!
October 01, 2008 10:21PM
If you liked the EX1 but didn't liked the fact that the lens is fixed, i would strongly suggest to add a bit of money in your budget and buy the EX3 which doesn't have a fixed lens and got a lot more options...simply a great camera !
October 01, 2008 10:27PM
that ex3 sure was tempting. but for me, the rolling shutter was just a deal-breaker
October 02, 2008 02:08AM
Well of course the EX3 is not as affordable as the EX1, but if your tempting by that camera but the rolling shutter is the only thing that slow you down in the process of buying it, i would say wait till january and invest in the ''RED Scarlet'', it will be sold for about 3000$ i think than add a 6000$ for a lens and youll have a much much more better cam than the EX3...a bit costly.
October 02, 2008 02:37AM
not to take this thread off topic but -

go to the reduser forum. we shouldnt be expecting ANY scarlet deliveries until fall of 2009 - and id even consider that WAY optimistic. considering they just changed the spec for the cam a couple weeks ago...

[www.scarletuser.com]

please lets not make this ANOTHER "red-rumor" site. there is enough of that in every other forum...

i wont speak for ANY camera that isnt available and has proven NLE support. i played the "bleeding-edge" game in the mid 1990's with videovision and media100
October 02, 2008 02:42AM
Well wayne, i posted about the RED just because i wanna let Dom know about that ''Scarlet''. Maybe he already knew about it...for sure, i assume he know about that cam, but he asked about brand of new cam he could buy, so i thought if he didnt knew about the sacrlett he could just give a look...thats it.
October 02, 2008 03:46AM
understood. but read his post again:

Its now time to buy a new camera

the words NOW and RED cant be used in the same sentence for the reasonable near future - if ever.

if you havent already, read the link i posted. the scarlet is being re-speced and is at very least a year from delivery
October 02, 2008 04:17AM
If you wanna play on words my friend i can surely play with you...

the words NOW and RED cant be used in the same sentence for the reasonable near future - if ever.

[www.red.com]

I think you might wanna check that page...since i think NOW and RED CAN be used in the same sentence.

Well you might wanna complain about the price but we are here to play with words so i think the ''NOW and RED'' will be just fine huh ?

Did you ever...ever thought about the fact that this guy Dom, in a year or so, could be interested in that product since if he didnt buy his camera right now, he could save a bit more of money and look into that product...(talking about the scarlet)

BECAUSE there is no smoke without fire...and in your rumors world, I THINK THERE IS THE FACT THAT THE SCARLET IS COMING...who cares about when. If i'm planning on buying something that will make a hole in my pocket and i got a certain range of products to choose from but i know that a certain company might come with a far better interesting product...maybe...MAYBE i'll wait juuuuuussssttt a bit longer to see what they have to offer.

The RED is real my friend, and i found it funny when you talk about workflow with that cam since here in montreal, MTL video (owned by MELS STUDIO) got 5 of them, they renting it and plenty of short films presented in festivals here and music video from montreal groups are made with that RED ONE. So i think the workflow issue is just not a rumor....
October 02, 2008 04:57AM
jeez friggin louise dude - are you employed by red or something?

if doc brown pulls up in your driveway in the delorean next week with a case of scarlets from late 2009, i'll shut up. but meanwhile FWIW - you still can not call up the red office and say "here is my money. please fed ex me a camera tomorrow" cant do it for a red one and definitely not for a scarlet

and dont act like you or your local rent shop are somebody special. red ones are everywhere. they are in my town, they are in yours. hell, for all i know YOU own seven of them personally. but thats not what were talking about here.

this guy (or girl) dom says he (or she) needs a $6000 camera "soon" i dont call a year from now or longer - "soon"

im all for the scarlet, im all for the one. but one is WAY out of the stated price range and the other isnt available yet. so lets quit dicking about and try to solve doms problem with tangible solutions.

if dom buys an ex1, ex3, hpx170 or a uvw100 for that matter, they can get busy doing work for the next year and be able to afford 3 scarlets once they are actually available.
October 02, 2008 05:26AM

if dom buys an ex1, ex3, hpx170 or a uvw100 for that matter, they can get busy doing work for the next year and be able to afford 3 scarlets once they are actually available.

I think you got a part of the answer here Dom.

and dont act like you or your local rent shop are somebody special

What the hell are you talking about !

as any suggestion, i talked about the ''scarlet'' just because Dom could just take a look at the camera...period. I dont own a RED ( Im far away of buying one ), im not working for them, but if they sold the scarlet for 3000$ i'm interested.

My first post was about the EX3, but i'm sure the HPX-170 is a perfect match in the price/quality department and of course is available right now.

The part with The ''back to the futur'' allusion is really great man...good call smiling smiley
October 02, 2008 01:46PM
I think there is some miscommunication here folks. Lets give it a rest. And its OK to talk about Scarlet and any tool that is announced but has not shipped. They shipped the Red One when very few believed it would happen and they will ship the Scarlet too despite the re-tooling. Can't say that about many other companies.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics