Dropped Frames on 6.0.4?

Posted by mcstrangelove 
Dropped Frames on 6.0.4?
August 04, 2008 04:07AM
Hi Gang,

I recently updated to OS 10.5.4 as well as the Pro Applications 2008-02 (FCP v6.0.4). Before the update, things were smooth as silk. Since the upgrade I've been dropping frames on playback like crazy.

I've tried the old standbys (checked hds & RAM settings, turned off Unlimited RT, lowered audio track preferences, canvas size, etc.) but nothing is working. I'm also working with plain ol' NTSC DV (on a dual G5), which played perfectly fine just a few days ago.

About the only thing that works is changing Playback Video Quality and Frame Rate to the "Low" settings...which ends up looking like I applied a strobe filter to my clips!

Does anyone know if the latest Pro Apps update has any bugs, and/or how to fix this problem?

Many thanks!
Mac
Re: Dropped Frames on 6.0.4?
August 04, 2008 10:17PM
Check this out from over on the FAQ Wiki

Read it carefully. if nothing applies, come on back here and lets solve it.

[www.lafcpug.org].

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 04, 2008 11:30PM
Thanks Michael, that was actually the first place I looked, as well as some posts at Creative Cow and 2pop.

Going down the list:

RT Menu - I tried both "Unlimited" and "Safe." No luck. As I mentioned, a workaround is using the lowest settings for Playback Quality and Frame Rate (but it's almost easier to edit with the dropped frames!).

Hard Drive - According to Disk Utility, Onyx and Cocktail the drive is okay. And I still have 25gb left on it.

RAM - I'm at 2.5gb of RAM. This is plain old NTSC dv which has never been a problem before for me.

Updates - I'm up to date on all my apps including QT. I'm wondering if this latest update of FCP was the problem?

Disable Mirror on Desktop - doesn't help.

Preferences - I trashed them. No luck.

The dropped frames occur on all my projects (playback only), no matter how many cuts or how many sequences are open. I've been cutting with the canvas at 50% which seems to help...but watching a 1" x 1" screen isn't so great.

Not sure what else to do. Wish I hadn't updated FCP!

I'm guessing it's time to reinstall?

Thanks for your help!
Mac
August 04, 2008 11:43PM
Tried creating a new sequence and pasting some footage in that? Make your canvas fit to window instead of 50%. Just for giggles.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 05, 2008 12:32PM
Tried that one too. I was wondering if my project was too big. Made a new project with only one timeline with 3 random clips on it, but the jittering prevailed.

If it's not something buggy in the FCP update, could it be that my hd needs to be "defragged?"
August 05, 2008 01:16PM
Did you tell us if this is an internal or external drive?

Obviously - if external, we'd recommend you try internal.
August 05, 2008 01:22PM
With OSX defragging is a waste of time. Have you done a shut down, unhooked all external drives wait a few minutes, plug it all back in, reboot and see what happens?

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 05, 2008 05:44PM
The drive in question is an internal, in the B-slot of my dual G5. I just tried viewing another project (on a different drive) and am still getting dropped frames.

I've been checking every setting in FCP to make sure I didn't tweak anything but everything looks normal.

Is there any way to uninstall the OS & FCP updates and revert to what I had before?
August 05, 2008 10:00PM
I think you might be right. It sounds like a dud install, since all the other tests have come up with nothing. I had a dud install once that did exactly the same - dropping frames all over for no reason whatsoever.

Here's a re-install guide from the Wiki : How do I re-install/un-install FCP?

Kind of a bummer that it couldn't be something else though. Re-installing is a PITA.

August 06, 2008 12:12PM
Thanks for all the help. I just wanted to check with everyone before the inevitable sad smiley
August 19, 2008 07:21PM
Well, I spent the past 2 days doing the inevitable:

1) Triple-checked my hard disks with Onyx, Disk Utility, Speed Tools & Cocktail
2) Did an Archive & Install of my Leopard disk
3) Re-installed all the updates
4) Re-installed FCS2

But, still getting dropped frames. I've narrowed it down to QT 7.5 and heard similar complaints. Anyone know if there is an update that will fix these problems? This version of QT has been the most trouble-prone since I started on FCP 1.0!
October 03, 2008 05:42PM
I'm having the same problem...and it recently popped up out of the blue seemingly after the updates...

I'm not very thrilled, either, because I'm on a brand new machine that exceeds the recommended specs.
October 04, 2008 02:29AM
I had loads of hideous problems at first with FCP2.

Ultimately, I was forced to start from scratch ...

i.e.

Erase internal startup drive. and I mean REALLY ERASE. By that I mean write zeros and ones and make sure there is nothing at all on that drive. Do this from your startup/System software disk.

Reinstall system software and all updates

Now run Disk Warrior.

Install FCP2 from scratch and do all updates and QT updates and ProApps updates

I then installed and updated my Blackmagic card software

Now run Disk Warrior AGAIN.

and

DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE (no other programs) ON THAT INTERNAL DRIVE ...

Then test with COMPLETELY FRESHLY DIGITIZED MATERIAL - not stuff you've used before.

This draconian method worked for me ...

I know it's hideous.

You have already spent a long time, apparently, attempting to fix this problem ... so perhaps it is time to bite the bullet.

I wish you well.

I'm sorry.

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics