PAL DVD Question from and NTSC pal

Posted by Andrew Kines 
PAL DVD Question from and NTSC pal
October 09, 2008 10:55PM
Hey There,

I am working pro bono on a charity video, mostly just taking a Power Point photo/music presentation and gussying it up a little with higher res photos and better graphics. It's being presented at a conference in Asia and then all over the world. Seeing as I did it in a 23.976 timeline at HD resolution I have the option of making PAL and NTSC DVDs for the first go-round.
My question:
How does a PAL DVD pull down a 23.976 video to 25fps?
I know NTSC DVD players add their own 2:3 pulldown but I am curious as to how PAL machines do it.
Thanks.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: PAL DVD Question from and NTSC pal
October 10, 2008 04:10AM
Although 24 is possible with PAL, i've yet to see someone to do it.
My advice, use Cinematools (or AE) to speed up the video to 25, and then make a PAL DVD.

Bouke
www.videotoolshed.com
October 10, 2008 06:58AM
>How does a PAL DVD pull down a 23.976 video to 25fps?

I have a whole bunch of NTSC code 1 DVDs playing on my PAL DVD player. I'm not sure if they're 24fps (haven't ripped them to find out), but what I think it does, is that it adds a pulldown to bring it up to a hybrid PAL 60fps for playback.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 11, 2008 01:56PM
A solution for those who might find this thread later.

I dumped out a full raster 1920x1080 23.976 quicktime
Duplicated the resulting file.
Used Cinema Tools to conform one copy from 23.976fps to 25fps (it's a destructive process, thus the duplication)
Processed them both in Compressor to MPEG2 and AC3
While that was crunching, I built an NTSC DVD and PAL DVD in DVDSP by building one project with widescreen menu, tracks and graphics in NTSC, "Save As" and convert it to PAL, wait for the compress to be done.
Import the PAL files into the PAL DVD project and the NTSC files into the NTSC project. Burn Burn Burn. Test in my PAL and NTSC DVD players.
Deliver.
I didn't get paid but I learnt something new. That's a fair trade on a charity gig I'd say. I did it in HD because there is still a chance it may play in a more formal setting and we're getting better (2k -4k+) scans of the photos as their archives get digitized.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics