TITLES NOT SHARP IN FCP

Posted by ECupps 
TITLES NOT SHARP IN FCP
October 10, 2008 01:43PM
When I export files from Motion/LiveType etc...I render each file as a NTSC DV quicktime. When I open them seperately, they look great, nice crisp lines.

I import them into FCP and then the crispness is lost, Check out this super:

Any tips on how to keep these looking sharp?! I have even rendered the entire sequence, exported as a QT, DV NTSC and its still blurry. The lines on the swoop are even jagged. : /

Thanks in advance!!

Eric
Re: TITLES NOT SHARP IN FCP
October 10, 2008 01:46PM
Sorry...forgot to include the vitals:

FCP 6.0.2
Mac OSX (2) 465gb stratch drives, less than 50% full.
October 10, 2008 02:00PM
I can't really tell what you're seeing from that screen shot, but DV is definitely killing you. It's not something most people can pick out in moving footage, but DV is a very low-resolution codec. It uses 4:1:1 chroma subsampling, so the horizontal color resolution is only a quarter of the horizontal luminance resolution.

The short answer is not to use DV, if it's at all possible.

October 10, 2008 03:13PM
Look at your output on a video monitor.
October 10, 2008 03:26PM
...change Fields to None in the Sequence Settings and look at it @ 100%.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Anonymous User
October 10, 2008 11:10PM
if you have the option to "Raster" the text in the controls tab, check it. it will automatically keep the text crisp and clear at any scale. or, make sure your text size doesn't have any decimals (for example 12.00 instead of a font size of 12.34).
October 11, 2008 05:44AM
>...change Fields to None in the Sequence Settings and look at it @ 100%.

I think that depends on what his delivery format is. A non-interlaced DVD may not play very well on an analog TV.

To see both fields on the Canvas/Viewer, set the size to 100% and turn off "correct for aspect ratio".

www.strypesinpost.com
October 11, 2008 01:02PM
Got a video monitor (as you should)? Check the quality there.
No monitor? Canvas set to 100%, set RT Pop Up to Safe RT/HQ/Full Frame

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 11, 2008 01:57PM
<<<>...change Fields to None in the Sequence Settings and look at it @ 100%. >>>

Everybody always leaves out the final step. Changing your canvas to 100%-fixed size only works if you also increase the size of the window presentation enough so you get gray around all sides of your video. If you don't do that "pull the window larger" thing, the picture is still sub-sampled and will still look ratty.

If you're in NTSC land, most of the stuff you're looking at is half resolution compared to the original shoot. So you're judging picture quality in 240 line video--unless you view at 100% or on a real television monitor.

Koz
October 11, 2008 02:30PM

Everybody always leaves out the final step. Changing your canvas to 100%-fixed size only works if you also increase the size of the window presentation enough so you get gray around all sides of your video. If you don't do that "pull the window larger" thing, the picture is still sub-sampled and will still look ratty.

Incorrect sir.

Here's proof. 720 x 480 / Lower Fields / DV/DVCPRO - NTSC clip

This one is "Fit To Window":

This one is @ 100% with NO RESIZING of the window as Koz suggests (notice the blue bars @ right & bottom):

Doesn't look "ratty" to me.

October 11, 2008 08:19PM
Make sure to adjust the size of the type using the Motion
tab and not in the text tab-

Motion tab uses Vectoring to to do the number crunching and
the text comes out sharper and least amount of Jaggies -Jay-
October 11, 2008 08:25PM
I think you have that backwards. The text functions align how and where the font vector shapes are drawn. The motion tab moves the pixels around.
October 11, 2008 08:30PM
>I think you have that backwards.

Sounds like that to me too.

Don't use the Motion tab for scaling. The text tool creates the vector shapes of the text, which is much better than scaling the already rastered shapes in the Motion tab.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 12, 2008 02:00AM
<<<Incorrect sir. >>>

Then it got changed. In both of our Final Cuts you can expand and contract the window and watch the picture "get sharp" when you cross the magic point when it has to put gray around all four edges. FCP 3 and 4.

This was a major problem for us because of needing to view field order problems, and only "real" 100% shows you both fields. "Fake" 100% doesn't show you squat.

I can't post the proof because it's Saturday.

Koz
October 12, 2008 06:39AM
Lol... Well, post it when you have the time, Koz. I'll be interested to see it. On FCP 5 & 6, the only time it scales to the size of the viewer or canvas is when you select "fit to window".

Have you trashed your prefs?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 12, 2008 09:22AM

Then it got changed.

Time to upgrade then, huh?!

I think you other guys are missing the point...the entire screen is "jaggie" - not just the text.

October 12, 2008 12:38PM
Hi Eric,

Most likely fix is to follow Jeff's advice and NOT use DV as your sequence base. Choose Prores 422 or 8 bit instead.
October 12, 2008 08:22PM
Here some other things why to use a broadcast monitor - beside of not using DV compression.

It's something Nick brought up and put some research into.

Here some screenshots of a HD title with several settings.
First 2 with "fit" and "show excess luma" enabled/disabled

2 more with the same generator, but set to 100%

The broadcast monitor will always show the correct position and the full quality - regardless of that what FCP shows on the computer monitor.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
October 13, 2008 07:08AM
WOW!!!! Great responses guys!!!! I wish I would have logged on over the weekend to give immediate answers, but "the weekend" got in the way!! smileys with beer

I do have a broadcast monitor for viewing and when I play back the video is not crisp on the monitor either and the audio does not follow video, is seems to be about 2 frames off, but A/V agreement is fine in FCP.

Isn't jaggie a tech term?!?! LOL

NickNasty said "Choose Prores 422 or 8 bit instead." I'll render in this format and try it out.

I am going to apply these changes, and I'll let you know the results later today!!!

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend....
October 13, 2008 08:22AM

NickNasty said "Choose Prores 422 or 8 bit instead." I'll render in this format and try it out.

You can also try Photo-Jpeg -- it takes less disk space.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
October 13, 2008 09:00AM
If the video is not crisp on the monitor then it's not related to the titles. Something has been done to the video that is making it render incorrectly. What are the exactly item properties for the media and for the sequence you're working in?
October 13, 2008 12:28PM
Hey everyone...I changed the sequence settings from DV to ProRes....yes, that DV stuff is nasty....I also changed my RT to safe and changed the fields dominance to lower and the QT setting to ProRes422.

I then changed the frame rate and resolution in the sequence settings>render control and to 100% which were previously set at 50%. I think that this is the one that really fixed it.

Everything looks great now! Thanks for your help guys!

CHEERS!!!
October 13, 2008 05:16PM
Render control at 50%? That would be the main culprit. eye rolling smiley

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 13, 2008 07:21PM
Although it was so simple, its great to know all the other "possibilities" that could've "RENDERED" the problem har har har...

Thanks again guys....its great!!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics