OT: New entry level Macs?

Posted by Ben King 
OT: New entry level Macs?
October 11, 2008 05:20AM
[technology.timesonline.co.uk]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: OT: New entry level Macs?
October 11, 2008 11:39AM
...and new redesigned Macbook Pros. They say they will be even thinner. I hope they don't sacrifice functionality like they did with the Macbook Air models or the "Post Pro Community" will have little use for them (omitting the DVD drive / shaving off ports / etc). Apple is smarter than that.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 11, 2008 11:44AM
Would be hard to call them macbook PROS if they took away some of the features. My guess is that they will be just faster, cheaper, thinner.

With a free pony.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 11, 2008 11:52AM
LOL...yeah, maybe the glowing Apple on the back of the monitor will be replaced by glowing Pony eyes that move back & forth.

October 11, 2008 12:34PM
Lol. The bloodshod eyes of an editor in need of sleep.

www.strypesinpost.com
Anonymous User
October 12, 2008 01:53AM
agreed. apple is smarter than that. the pro market is huge for apple. fcs3 and snow leopard next year should be a treat for the pros. i am more looking forward to those software releases than redesigned macbook pros.
October 12, 2008 08:34AM
>i am more looking forward to those software releases than redesigned macbook pros

Yea! Cocoa! Apple probably had a headstart in the rewrites... Snow Leopard looks powerful- 15TB of RAM!?.

FCS definitely needs some fixes. Hopefully media manager issues, speed ramp issues, mxf imports, avc-intra compatibility, frame size limitations, project file size limitations, are all addressed this time, on top of being able to tap into all that RAM. Better text tools in FCP... Fix the whites/superwhites issue with FXplug, Blu-Ray support in new Mac Pros and DVDSP, Blu-Ray H.264 authoring in Compressor...

Hmm... That's a lot of work... Maybe we'll have to wait for 2 years... hmm...

www.strypesinpost.com
October 12, 2008 09:02AM
Hey G

AVC-intra compatibility & RED R3D files compatibility are coming in the next free point update!

Media Manager is fine on my 6.0.4 - what issues are you getting?

Speed Ramp isn't half as difficult as people make out.

For me I'll be hoping the use of multiprocessor and memory allocation will be properly addressed. Definitely a better Text tool - like integrating LiveType with point and click (or cursor key) positioning/sizing in the canvas window!

Still I am excited about any new advances in hardware and anything that brings more Mac users to the world is only going to make things better cus everyone knows Mac users are happier people than PC users... winking smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 12, 2008 09:06AM
i am against the thinner macbooks.

they can not be as sturdy as the current ones that are about 1.25 inches thick. You can sit a camera case on top of the current ones and not worry about the trip.

thinner to me means more heat to the outer casing and more chance for macbook injuries.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 12, 2008 09:06AM
Oh and for those who are true grandaddies of the mac platform you might want a nostalgic trip down random access memory lane with this one!

[www.macupdate.com]

October 12, 2008 09:21AM
There needs to be an indicator for speed ramps- they can be very tricky to dig out and especially when you're moving between different field dominance (or hell, just get shift fields to work on these clips).

I'm hoping the FxPlug preview path gets some kind of fix. I don't mind if it previews in RGB as long as they can get it done without the highlights bouncing back after the render (probably get white point mapped to 235 instead). I had a project recently, where i threw on the 3-way CC, threw on the Vignette FxPlug, then when i went through it the 2nd time, I tweaked the 3-way a few stops to get better contrast, and it looked fine, except that i forgot i was using an FxPlug, so the superwhites come back after the render..

>AVC-intra compatibility & RED R3D files compatibility are coming in the next free point
>update!

I heard about the Avc-Intra support... Didn't know it would be so soon! That's cool!

www.strypesinpost.com
October 12, 2008 09:23AM
>thinner to me means more heat to the outer casing and more chance for macbook
>injuries.

Would this help?

grinning smiley

www.strypesinpost.com
October 12, 2008 09:28AM
LOL...nice G.

You can sit a camera case on top of the current ones and not worry about the trip.

thinner to me means more heat to the outer casing and more chance for macbook injuries.

IMHO, a MBP should be carried / stored vertically in a padded sleeve inside a padded case / laptop backpack. Anyone setting a camera case (or anything else for that matter) on top of their MBP gets what ever damage they deserve. drinking smiley eye popping smiley

October 12, 2008 02:51PM
It's more of the probably lack of universal binary support that may be an issue for some. At times, I still find myself working off G5s, sometimes FCS1, and sometimes Tiger.

Mac Pros rock, but compatibility may become an issue- guys shoot on a new tapeless format, and realize they don't have the post support. But then again, they may realize then that it's time to upgrade.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 12, 2008 04:22PM
joe
when we get to packing 3 dvx, 4 tripods, 4 lights w/stand, 2 arm mount, a back drop set, the cd case , a 12 pack of caffeine free pepsi, and some chips..... whew

you find plenty of things that wont stay in place and its so nice to have things tthat can take some slight shifts along a 200 mile trip.hot smiley

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
October 13, 2008 01:23PM
The (alleged) new case designs for the Apple laptops have popped up online:
Macrumors

If these are true, then the Macbook Pro is down to one FW800 port and a proprietary display port (no more full size DVI). The optical drive is still there, hopefully with BluRay options. The Macbooks don't seem to have Firewire ports at all. We'll know for sure tomorrow!

JK

October 13, 2008 05:23PM
John K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The optical drive is still
> there, hopefully with BluRay options.

Dream on dude!
October 13, 2008 06:49PM
I think they are just screwing up an already great product. They are striving so hard for a style that they are forgetting about functionality. i want 2 fw on my macbook and 2 usb and a blueray drive.

In that thin case makes it awfully hard to get there.

""""
October 14, 2008 01:09PM
Q&A During the laptop Keynote:

10:56AM "Blu-ray?"

Steve: "Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

Ouch.

So we're basically NOT going to see an Apple BR device any time soon.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics