I know it's not a MAC forum but you guys know a lot about MBP: Advice needed

Posted by xavpil 
I know it's not a MAC forum but you guys know a lot about MBP: Advice needed
October 16, 2008 04:27AM
Most of you know more about the specificity or running video softwares and applications than other people in Apple product related forums (I tried posting that nothing interesting came up)

I want to buy a MBP to be able to run Studio 2.
I was going to buy the entry level new MBP for $1999 but I found a refurbished MBP ('older' model) for $1499 on the Apple website. It used to be sold at $2499, so i guess it was a great machine.
So is it better to buy a machine that was more than just an entry level model, or should i get the extra $500 out my wallet and buy the entry level of the newly redesigned MBP?

Here are the specs of the older MBP. 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
6x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
? Save 41% off the original price
Original price: $2,499.00
Your price: $1,499.00

The new:
2.4GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
15-inch widescreen
2GB Memory
250GB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
Re: I know it's not a MAC forum but you guys know a lot about MBP: Advice needed
October 16, 2008 05:38AM
I have that MBP and its a fantastic machine.

I would save the money on the new one unless you really want it and use the saved cash to get an Apple Full size Keyboard, a Wacom Bamboo Graphics Tablet (saves wrist strain!!! seriously good investment) and maybe a second display for when you work at home on the MBP.

I often hook up my MBP via DVI to HDMI to my 42" HD Plasma as a second monitor or occasionally to my 30" Apple Cinema display.

The new MBP is nice but its not that much greater in terms of speed and certainly doesn't have as many ports as the older model.

It runs World of Warcraft really well too winking smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
get the new one. Faster processor, faster FSB, faster RAM, user replaceable hard drive, solid construction, led backlit instant-on screen, far better gpu's. Just to name a few.
Re: I know it's not a MAC forum but you guys know a lot about MBP: Advice needed
October 16, 2008 07:25AM
there you go - 2 sides to the topic...

At the end of the day they should both work very well - I cut ProRes HQ 1920x1080 HD on my MBP with an external RAID via FW800 or eSATA (via Express slot) with no issues.

If you think the extra speed/gfx is worth the cost then go for the new version - it does look rather sexy!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 16, 2008 09:45AM
This is one thing you gotta love/hate about Apple. Everytime a new product comes out, the previous versions pale in comparison, not that they aren't great machines to start from. I think Blu-Ray options, a FW400 port and a matte display would have made it a lot better, but that's me wanting everything.

4 gigs of RAM and the faster graphics card option would be better if you find yourself doing more graphics/editing work. Otherwise, the new MBP looks great. And as Mike mentioned (which I obviously misquoted),
http://www.lafcpug.org/phorum/read.php?1,217810,217819#msg-217819
it's great if you are single trying to pick up girls...
tongue sticking out smiley

www.strypesinpost.com
October 16, 2008 02:11PM
I am back to square one...
Ben says: "the old one"
Macapptraining: the new one
And Strypes pretty much says that both would be ok...
smileys with beer

But thanks a lot. YOu raised points that will help me choose.
I realize now that I would totally be fine with the older model, but that the 'buying new' factor plays a part. I don't buy computers everyday and I also want to satisfy my buying "need" I guess....
Oh well!
October 16, 2008 02:26PM
I'd wait until the benchmarks are in to see if the new ones are worth it. That, and if you can get past the glossy screen which is not an easy thing for many of us. There are mattes out there you can use on your screen, but have no clue if they work or not.

Preliminary bench marks has the new MBP slower than the HP HDX16t in some cases.

[www.pcmag.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 16, 2008 02:29PM
The plus sides, is that nothing on the older model will really become obsolete- both run on intel processors, the graphics cards will help the fxplugs (and graphics softwares), but both models have the same amount of VRAM, just that one goes faster.. Depending on what you intend to use it for...

And yea, Mike has spoken... wait for the benchmarks, then decide...

www.strypesinpost.com
October 16, 2008 04:10PM
I think you may find the ProApps performance at least the ones using the GPU might be faster on the old one as Apple STILL haven't addressed the Nvidia drivers poor performance with them...

I agree regarding the benchmarks - or pop down to your local Apple store/reseller and ask to test them both!

October 17, 2008 03:12AM
Gizmodo has a review of the MB and MBPro. Draw your own conclusions

[gizmodo.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 17, 2008 04:49AM
My God, the new Star trek crew over there! Love Uhura. Kirk? Eh. And where s Spock?

- Loren
Today's Starfleet keytip:

Warp 5-9 with Command 5-9!

Starfleet Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics