Export issue with Canon HV20

Posted by mjfalkow 
Export issue with Canon HV20
October 22, 2008 03:21PM
I am simple trying to export a HD quicktime movie for playback on my computer or for other peoples computers. I am very comfortable with FCP editing, but have struggled to understand the HD exporting issues. I am editing mostly sports footage, short comdey skits, and music videos.

Footage was captured at the standard 1080i60 settings, but all 1080i , 1440x1080, 1920x1080 formats etc i try give me interlacing lines issues, and setting the deinterlace setting never helps. I tried about 20 different export options using the standard quicktime export or compressor.

I can export a nice looking image with a variety of the 720p30fps settings, but then i run into a new problem which is all the text is scaled wrong. What i am seeing in the editing panes or the 1060i exports scaling looks good, but on export at 720p the text is getting stretched taller. The normal video is identical to any other exports, no clipping.

If any body could give me advise on the setting or workflow i need to do to get a good quality export, correct text scaling, and no interlacing lines, i would be very appreciative.

Thanks
Mat
Re: Export issue with Canon HV20
October 23, 2008 08:48AM
>and setting the deinterlace setting never helps

You need to understand that "interlacing" is not a problem. It is a video format. You only deinterlace if delivery requires you to do so (eg. for web delivery). You may have other issues like field tearing, eg. stuttering on motion due to inverted fields (then you'll need to shift fields).

>What i am seeing in the editing panes or the 1060i exports scaling looks good, but on
>export at 720p the text is getting stretched taller.

Depending on how you do the export, I did notice once that exporting direct to Compressor for DVD mpeg2 encoding did stretch the text. My workaround is to export a QT movie and encode that in Compressor.

In this case, why are you downconverting to 720p?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 23, 2008 01:46PM
The only reason i am down converting to 720p is that that is the only way i can get a clear video without the horizontal line issues, which like you said may be tearing or something. If i could solve the line issue i would prefer to export at 1080i.

I see the text scaling issue on either compressor export or direct quicktime export..
October 23, 2008 01:57PM
Where are you monitoring your video? If you are monitoring with a HD broadcast monitor, then it probably should be solved.

>or direct quicktime export..

Does it appear in the timeline? Or did you downscale on the export settings?

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics