Looking For Inexpensive MiniDV Deck

Posted by DH 
DH
Looking For Inexpensive MiniDV Deck
September 20, 2008 01:58PM
Hi all.

I have not participated in this forum for over a year, so please forgive me, as I am slightly behind in technology.

I am looking for an inexpensive MiniDV deck that I can use to load tapes into Final Cut Studio. My candidate deck does not have to have a lot of "bells and whistles."

The only thing about which I care is that it must reliably load my tapes into FCP Studio without glitches, timecode breaks, etc. Also, it should be able to rewind my tapes without damaging them. I've read too many horror stories about tape rewinders.

Lastly, if the deck can help me deal with any potentially small glitches in the source tape by skipping over that minute glitch, even better.

If anyone can politely suggest a suitable deck and a source for buying it, you're the man or woman! Also, please describe your experience with the deck you are suggesting.

Take care.

-DH
Re: Looking For Inexpensive MiniDV Deck
September 20, 2008 02:16PM
DSR-11. Might find one used.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 20, 2008 04:17PM
The DSR-11 is a DV Video industry workhorse that uses both MiniDV & full sized DVCAM tapes. It is getting very hard to find these puppies in good shape since they have been discontinued by Sony. Just so happens I have one...that I am willing to part with (in great shape - VERY low hours...haven't used it once in 2008). Here's the skinny on the deck:

[www.videotapestock.com]

$1500 including the original remote, power adapter, side stand:

Here's the ACTUAL HOURS METER photographed 9/20/08:

Deck / Sale details are now listed in the "LACFPUG MARKET" area of the forum:

[www.lafcpug.org]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 21, 2008 06:04PM
[Lastly, if the deck can help me deal with any potentially small glitches in the source tape by skipping over that minute glitch, even better. ]

Decks won't help you with tape breaks, only you cna do that. Here's my scheme:

First part of tape source 1 logged as: 001

After first break: 001A (or A001 if another tape is numbered 001A)

After second break: 001B (pr B001)

etc.

Tapes logged by time code breakpoints can be batch captured section by section. The Capture reel dialog will list each section as a separate "tape" signaling operator to switch to Local, shuttle past breakpoint, re-engage Remote, select the new "tape" section in the list and batch capture from there till the next breakpoint.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Apply your default audio transition instantly
with Command-Option - T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
September 21, 2008 10:12PM
looking around my cutting room last night realised that the oldest bit of gear in the place is my DSR11.
had it since 2002, i think.
everything else has either broken or been superseded.
what a pity they've been discontinued.

oh, the door..

well that normaly breaks, and it did on mine,
but it has been taped back on, and now opens from the top!

you know Joe's machine hasn't been used much if it still has the door!

nick
October 23, 2008 04:49PM
Buy a cheapo MiniDV camera, and wear it out!
You can get one for $140 CDN, and it´s warrantied to last a year!

Treatment
October 23, 2008 05:20PM
I am with treat.
i have been beating up the same panasonic cheapo with dv out for 2.5 years now. Any panasonic gs model will do it. plus the gs model have a nice neat av chord and they are not horrible for filming in well lit areas.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 23, 2008 05:22PM
> well that normaly breaks, and it did on mine,
> but it has been taped back on, and now opens from the top!

I still have mine as well, and I've had the thing since 2003. I'm very anal about keeping that door on. It's come off about a dozen times, but as long as the joint isn't broken, you can just snap it back on.

A DV camera can be used, but first of all, any camera that's cheap enough for you to use as a deck won't take the larger DVCam tapes, and also cameras won't give you nearly as much stability for playback, output etc. without glitches. I've seen many tapes output from cameras that seem to be fine if played back with that same camera, but are in reality glitchy with broken timecodes and pixellations if played on another device.

B&H still has DV decks, though the Sony ones they stock are now all over $5000. Yes, the DSR-11 is sorely missed.

www.derekmok.com
October 23, 2008 05:55PM
Hello...DSR-11 for sale here...great condition...low hours...price REDUCED by $250 (still has the door & mint remote control):

[www.lafcpug.org]

October 23, 2008 06:00PM
Still having the door makes it a collectors item. I'd increase price $250.00

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 23, 2008 06:11PM
OK. Door sold separately for $250.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics