What gives? Black frames appearing on my DVD project every 30 seconds or so?!

Posted by digibody 
What gives? Black frames appearing on my DVD project every 30 seconds or so?!
October 26, 2008 03:13PM
I just burned a Wedding Video DVD, it's 2hrs and 5 minutes in legnth, a mix of formats: 3/4 of it is NTSC 24p HVX (non P2 card mode) footage and 1/4 of it is HD 1080i footage shot with a Sony HDRSR11 60GB High-Definition Hard Drive Camcorder. I cut on FCP, build and formatted on DVD Studio Pro, used disk utility to burn after making an img. Did not use compressor, imported a self contained movie exported from FCP into DVD SP directly and let it compress itself that way.

Anyone have any idea why there is a black frame thrown in about every 30 seconds on the project?

PS I'm on a 2.5 gb DDR SDRAM, Dual 1.8 Power PC G5, V 10.4.11, FCP 6.0.4, DVDSP 4.2.1.

Thank you for your advice.
Re: What gives? Black frames appearing on my DVD project every 30 seconds or so?!
October 27, 2008 03:06AM
Mix frame rates? 24p...is that 23.98 or 29.97? 1080i I assume is 29.97fps. But 24P can mean either 29.97 or 23.98...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: What gives? Black frames appearing on my DVD project every 30 seconds or so?!
October 27, 2008 06:39PM
Okay, so not knowing anything about cutting mixed formats, I opened two sequences, one with 23.95 dv footage shot on an hvx, and then the sony hand held camera, shooting h264 (camera native) 1080i footage, then copied and pasted from one timeline to the other, meaning cutting the sequence which was set up for 1080i into the 23.95 timeline. Is that why it's blinking black frames? If I got rid of the 1080i footage, will that fix the problem? Thank you.
October 27, 2008 07:00PM
copy / pate between sequences with different frame rates can give you those black frames.
but you don't say what frame rate the 1080i sequence is. (btw, there's no such thing as 29.95!)

are the black frames thru ALL the footage?? or just what you pasted from the 1080i sequence.
that;s a bit unclear.

"If I got rid of the 1080i footage, will that fix the problem?"

don't you want that footage?
why don't you just remove the black frames?

finally, H264 is not really an editing format (yet)
i wonder if that's got something to do with it
you might be better off converting to some other format.

nick
October 27, 2008 07:05PM
sorry i didnt see the first post:

it's probably an issue with mixed frame rates.

if you cut all the footage in one sequence, or 2 sequences with identical frame rates,
then you wouldn't have the problem.

nick
October 28, 2008 10:21PM
Okay guys,

So I seperated the two tracks and decided to make them into two different movies as their own files on different DVDs.

HOWEVER, I'm still seeing the black frame added once I render out the 23.98 ntsc dv project. Once I exported it to a self contained movie, I noticed the frames. Now do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics