Blackmagic crashes in ProRes Multiclip editing.

Blackmagic crashes in ProRes Multiclip editing.
October 30, 2008 07:29AM
Hello all,

I'm a newcomer to FCP scene, though I've been an Avid user for a decade. I'm quite pleased for now with the editing interface, but sadly a recurrent crash is starting to seriously hamper my work.

I'm editing a long feature shot in multiple HDCAMs, captured as ProRes 422 50i (HQ) and grouped into multiclips of up to three timecode synced cameras. Media goes to a 9,5 TB fibre channel array.

The job started mostly flawless, but eventually the problem started to appear, and the bigger the project file gets, the more often it happens. When playing, specially when in trim mode, the Blackmagic video output slowly flickers between the actual video and a garbage green-pink noise screen. If I'm quick enough to stop play I prevent it from going worse, but else in two seconds the garbage screen takes over and FCP completely hangs. Sometimes shutting itself down.

Just in case is useful, here's the exception description from the info screen:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0
Thread 0 Crashed:
0 ...agic-design.BlackmagicCodec 0x0bc41f9c Horizontal_Upsample_v210_1_to_2_Vector + 205

I tried to reduce resource consumption by closing tabs, additional projects and external apps with no result. I'm only using one video layer and eight audio channels, and the only thing I noticed is a green preview bar in the multiclip sourced edits, which I managed to remove setting the Sequence Video Processing in RGB (?). Still, it does not make any difference. Rebooting calms things down for a while, but only for a while.

Any idea or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Re: Blackmagic crashes in ProRes Multiclip editing.
October 30, 2008 08:38AM
Seeing a light green preview bar is normal. That's full RT effect preview, which means that the clip needs to be rendered before you export. After you are done with the multiclip edit, right click and select "collapse multiclips". That should get rid of the render bar.

For the crashes, you could try updating your Blackmagic card drivers.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics