emailing videos

Posted by Rick Sparks 
emailing videos
October 27, 2008 07:58PM
I need to email 5 minute videos (music and moving stills) for display on a fairly large screen. Mpeg4 is way too low a resolution. Recommendations? Thanks.
Re: emailing videos
October 27, 2008 08:08PM
"E-mail" and "large screen" don't go together at all.

At the very least, use an FTP site and send a high-data-rate, large-frame H.264. But if you're going to play it on a large screen, then you should send data discs, tapes, or at the very least video DVDs.

www.derekmok.com
October 27, 2008 09:36PM
i use You Send It for things like this,
[www.yousendit.com]

or we pop the files onto a "Rugged" drive, and send it in the post
[www.lacie.com]

nick
October 28, 2008 07:50AM
If your file size is below 7gigs. then you could send a flash drive. I have seen flash drives at 8gigs and i am sure there are some 16g out there.

the question is does your client have the means to :

1. burn a dvd?
2. accept the qt - self contained movie as an output file ( higher quality )?
3. convert to the format they need?

i would suggest asking if they would like a dvd thats ready to play in any dvd player to be displayed on any screen. Then if they say yes you can just send them a dvd.

you can use chapters to separate the 5min segments.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 28, 2008 08:59AM
>If your file size is below 7gigs.

Whoa... Be careful with that, especially if you're sending them a drive. If they are on a PC, format it to FAT32, and make sure the file size is under 4 gigs (use H.264 as Derek mentioned). Otherwise, they need to be running a mac or have macdrive installed.

Whichever format you send, make sure that your client has the means to play it. Eg. mov/h.264 (they need Quicktime 7).

www.strypesinpost.com
October 28, 2008 12:02PM
Many email systems will not let you post any file over a certain limit. I think Yahoo Mail is 100M.

And yes, H.264 takes a million years to encode, but will produce an excellent, small video--in HiDef if needed.

Koz
October 30, 2008 01:44PM
How about if you are in a tight deadline and overnighting a DVD isn't fast enough? What do you recommend?

We had one instance where we tried doing it to a Windows Media file, but the quality wasn't high enough. I had been using 5 Mb as the limit to what can be emailed...I know some corporations' email systems won't do more than 5...what have you guys found to be acceptable? I ended up just putting it on YouTube, but would rather have something a bit more private, that is still relatively fast to do.

Thanks!
Casey
October 30, 2008 02:21PM
exposureroom.com, mediafire.com

You can upload up to 720p. Use h.264 at 3000 mbps.

Click on the link below to see what it looks like.

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
October 30, 2008 10:44PM
Thanks for all the great info. Lots for me to get up to speed on.
October 31, 2008 05:55PM
in the future try having a hidden web page on your that you can send a link to your client so they can see the video. then all you have to figure out is a formula for encodes and what viewing software they have.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics