.MooV and Quicktime MoviePa

Posted by joeypepperoni 
.MooV and Quicktime MoviePa
November 03, 2008 12:13PM
Hello,

A colleague referred me here stating that you guys are some of the smartest in the industry. I've been searching for a solution for a while and thought I'd try you guys out.

I've received some legacy files in .MooV format, and need to convert them to a usable format. The client of course, does not have any original tapes or hardware that was used to run them (circa '94, OS 7.5, QT3.5).

When I load them up in quicktime pro (in OS 10.4, Quicktime 7) we see nothing but black, but the audio works. Leads me to believe we dont have the correct codec.

Movie Inspector shows MoviePak video.

Also tried loading them on OS 9.1 Quicktime 4, same problem. Installed Quicktime 2.5 on an OS 9.1 system, and they present the same problem.

Any idea where I can get a codec that may work for me? Or how I can get these files into a usable format?
Re: .MooV and Quicktime MoviePa
November 03, 2008 12:25PM
Can you post a 5 sec clip somewhere?
November 03, 2008 12:31PM
righto!

I have a zip file posted with about 4 different samples at: [downloads.overdrivedesign.com]

These files don't have any audio.
November 03, 2008 01:13PM
My QuickTime Player couldn't even open those files. And in looking at those files, it looks to me like they're not even media files. They're too small. One is only 992KB, and the others are all under 5MB. It looks to me like they're "marker" files, or reference files that don't contain the actual video information. And if they did, the quality would be far below normal editing standards.

www.derekmok.com
Re: .MooV and Quicktime MoviePak
November 03, 2008 01:25PM
Thanks for giving it a shot, the video files are only a few seconds long, and are very simple CG animations on a black background with no audio and at low resolution (320x240) so that is why they are so small.
November 03, 2008 03:26PM
MoviePak?!?!?!? - WOW thats a blast from the past! wasnt that a raster ops codec or something?
November 06, 2008 10:20AM
GOT IT!!

Found the codec needed (Codec was from 1992) on an old G4 Cube!

It was a pain getting the extension off the system because if the file was ever moved to an OS X system it would corrupt. Had to use an OLD verion of stuffit Lite (1.5.1...yikes) to compress it and then move it over.

Installed it into the extensions folder, loaded up quicktime and voila, the system now plays the file. I converted them into a modern day quicktime format using Cleaner and Apple Animation encoding.

I have a SIT file with the codec posted at [forum.videohelp.com] in case anyone needs it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics