Drive Clean Up and ReOrganizing NO NO

Posted by J.Corbett 
Drive Clean Up and ReOrganizing NO NO
November 07, 2008 12:00PM
I have stuff scattered all over my drives.

i have 3 capture scratch and render file locations, 2 motn locations, 1 custom elements location, and 2 audio locations (including a 17gig sfx folder).

If i move the capture scratches to a new drive with a different name will fcp allow the reconnection of the files?

I think i remember having to stop my reorganizing venture before because even though the files (capture) were never renamed the path was unauthenticated because it seemed that fcp would not recognize the path.

WHAT ABOUT THE PATH:
I had the files on a Caldigit svr2 esata and moved them to a fw drive. the file was in a folder named PROJECT-X and that folder was in FCP5.1 DOCs with 4 other projects. The FCP DOCs folder was moved.

when i reopened the project and went to reconnect media. Once i found the files FCP5.1 said something to the effect of " media has a different duration " if i remember correctly.

Is there something that takes place with the media itself when i transfer?

What is the safest way to do this?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Drive Clean Up and ReOrganizing NO NO
November 07, 2008 12:18PM
>If i move the capture scratches to a new drive with a different name will fcp allow the
>reconnection of the files?

Yes. But try to avoid illegal characters in file names.

You can also move media files with media manager.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 07, 2008 12:46PM
would you recommend that i used media manager rather than to drag the file folder? Its a biggie 284gig

and there are files associated with 15 old projects that i keep for copy/paste attribute reasons. i would have to open those plus about 10 others to use media manager.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
November 07, 2008 12:54PM
If you have used illegal characters in your file names, I would suggest that you move it via media manager. I recently had to reconnect clips on the timeline one at a time because someone shifted a folder of clips and the file names won't show up in the reconnect media dialog box. I suspect that happened because of illegal characters.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 07, 2008 01:04PM
kool

""""
November 07, 2008 01:25PM
oh the constant frame, autosave vault, thumbnail & waveform cache aren't critical are they?

""""
November 07, 2008 01:49PM
I consider the AUTOSAVE VAULT pretty darn critical.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 08, 2008 07:04AM
>I consider the AUTOSAVE VAULT pretty darn critical.

For current projects, they are an absolute must keep. For older projects, it depends on how well organized your archiving is... Once, I was working on a project at a production house, and the system drive was full (5% free space), so I was going through the machine with the post manager and asking him what I could trash, and when I came to the autosave vault, I asked him if I could trash the old projects, and he told me that just a few hours ago, they salvaged a 3 year old project from the vault. So yes, that's how critical it can be.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 08, 2008 11:27AM
shane whats up with the new banner. you look like a lounge singer.smiling bouncing smiley

""""
November 08, 2008 01:14PM
You called it. I am moon lighting as a nightclub singer. "Staaaar Waaaars, those fabulous Staaaaar Waaaars!"

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
November 10, 2008 12:04AM
No, seriously, Shane ... you look demented and, well ... troubling.

I beg you: don't do this to yourself.

Best,

your pupil and admirer,

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
November 10, 2008 12:45AM
And Jeff Harrell's MONKEY doesn't get to you? I'm just making a silly face.

A DEMENTED silly face...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics