IMPORT FILE: CRUSHED MIDTONES & HIGHLIGHTS in FCPS2

Posted by jeffgilchriest 
IMPORT FILE: CRUSHED MIDTONES & HIGHLIGHTS in FCPS2
November 11, 2008 11:35AM
I searched the forum and could not find an answer, so here goes:
We shoot with a JVC GY-200u in 720 30P NDF and use a Firestore DRHD-100 harddrive for tapeless capture.

When we import camera QT files into FCPS2 (version 6.0.4) we have a very noticeable drop in Midtones and Highlights, which is confirmed through our Videoscopes. The footage looks significantly darker. When the same file is viewed in Quicktime Player, the footage looks normal and is brighter than FCP intrepretation. The QT player's intrepretation (latest version) is what we would expect our properly exposed footage to look like.

This phenomenon occurs in all of our FCPS2 workstations (we have three) when we test the same sample file, so it is not isolated to one machine.
The files are HDV files in QT format. I believe it is a FCPS2 issue since QT shows the video normally on the same screen as FCP is displayed.

Our FCPS2 sequence settings are:
720 x 1280 HD 30P, NDF
Apple ProRes HQ
10 Bit YUV best
White (not superwhite)
Motion adaptation = Best

I hope I haven't confused anyone. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Jeff Gilchriest
Re: IMPORT FILE: CRUSHED MIDTONES & HIGHLIGHTS in FCPS2
November 11, 2008 12:05PM
QT and FCP have different GAMMA settings. QT lightens the footage to ensure that all computer monitors can see the image. While FCP gamma is more broadcast oriented...darker, for sure. NEVER EVER EVER judge quality of your image on a computer monitor. Seriously...take any three monitors in your office and put the same image on them and put them side by side. Tell me how well they match. Go ahead...I'll wait.

This is why you need a broadcast quality monitor...one setup to certain specs. Or, if you intend this to be used on the web, then color balance your monitor. BUT...know that FCP isn't meant for internet video really...it is meant for broadcast, so it displays the broadcast gamma.

There is a setting in QT to switch the gamma to match FCP... I believe it is in the preferences.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics