"Make Independent Clip" is not working

Posted by ProductionNow 
"Make Independent Clip" is not working
November 18, 2008 01:56PM
I did look around for this answer and found nothing. I put my clip on the timeline - select ins and outs - and hit Modify > Make Independent Clip _ and nothing happens. It's a 24pa widescreen DV project. Whoopie.
Re: "Make Independent Clip" is not working
November 18, 2008 04:16PM
> I did look around for this answer and found nothing. I put my clip on the timeline - select ins and
> outs - and hit Modify > Make Independent Clip _ and nothing happens.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? I don't quite see the advantage of doing this to an affiliate clip.

Having re-read your post, I think you're confusing "independent clips" with "subclips".

If you're trying to put In and Out points onto a clip and then you want a version of that clip that doesn't include any other content except what's between the In and Out points, then what you want is a subclip. Put In and Out points, then press APPLE-U.

Independent Clips don't "limit" the access to the media; it means a clip's master-affiliate relationship is broken. For example, if you copied a multi-layered Photoshop still into a timeline multiple times, but want each instance of that PSD to have different layers activated, then you need to make all of them Independent -- otherwise changes made to the layers of one will be applied to all instances.

Lisa Brenneis' LAFCPUG article explains this:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
November 18, 2008 05:01PM
Oh - I see - I'm an idiot - thank you so much. IS there a way to make a CLIP though instead of a nested sequence? I feel like sequences take up more memory - or is it insignificant? I just feel like Sequences for clips open up a level of future calamity due to the fact that if the innards of the sequence are messed with so is the sequence itself. Any way I can make a CLIP that is CLIPPED at the in and out?
November 18, 2008 06:42PM
> I feel like sequences take up more memory - or is it insignificant?

Yes, Sequences do take up more memory. Don't edit nests. They're a quick shortcut to file-management chaos.

> Any way I can make a CLIP that is CLIPPED at the in and out?

Make Subclip - APPLE-U.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics