Newbie here...recorded audio at 12bit

Posted by Atom 
Newbie here...recorded audio at 12bit
November 14, 2008 07:34PM
I'm an amatuer and new to FCP and video. I recorded on sony trv900 miniDV. Didnt know to set audio to 16bit. Using FCP ver. 5.1.4 I captured footage using capture now, when the capture is done I get a messege thats says: The audio sample rate of one or more of your captured media files does not match the sample rate on your source tape. This may cause the video and audio of these media files to be out of sync. Make sure the audio sample rate of your capture preset matches the sample rate of your tape.
I know I shot with the audio set to 12bit, is there anyway to set FCP to 12bit audio? If not what can you suggest?
Re: Newbie here...recorded audio at 12bit
November 14, 2008 07:57PM
If you are having problems - use compressor or quicktime pro or even FCP to export the files as Quicktime DV movies with 48kHz 16bit audio.

Then re-import the exported files.

This should sort out your issues.

You could also just export the audio as 48kHz 16bit AIFFs or WAVs but then you'd have to sync them.

Check on longer clips that everything is in sync.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 15, 2008 02:15PM
Thanks for that info. I'll give that a try. How about this other idea though. I just thought of it this morning. What if I copied the tape to another miniDV camera with that cameras audio set to 16bit. Do you think that would work? I have a friend with a much higher end miniDv camera I can use.
November 15, 2008 02:30PM
You could try it but if you went FireWire to FireWire it should only make a exact digital duplicate on the other tape. Meaning it will end up being 12-bit 32kHz. Try it and see but I'm guessing that you might be disappointed.

If you go analog to analog then you will lose AV quality.

The best option is to transcode as I mentioned above.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 16, 2008 02:47PM
Just wondering, Ben...

Won't that create any out of sync problems, by re-sampling the sound from 12 to 48 kHz and then reimporting it to the sequence? If so, what's the fix?
November 16, 2008 02:51PM
thanks again for the answer I'll just do it as you said the first time.
November 16, 2008 04:40PM

Won't that create any out of sync problems, by re-sampling the sound from 12 to 48 kHz and then reimporting it to the sequence? If so, what's the fix?

It shouldn't do.

1 sec = 1 sec regardless of bitrate/sample resolution.

Converting an audio sample from 32kHz (32000 times per second) to 48kHz (48000 times per second) its a bit like upscaling a picture in Photoshop.

Essentially you don't gain anything by it and if you look at the detail you may see some evidence of the conversion but from a distance the picture looks the same.

The reverse is also true, such as when compressing audio/video to web video - when you take your master at 48kHz and compress for the web at 44.1kHz or 32kHz AAC you don't see a change in length do you?

November 16, 2008 07:51PM
> by re-sampling the sound from 12 to 48 kHz

Nope it's 32khz 12bits to 48khz 16bits.

And Ben is right. There shouldn't be any duration or pitch changes or sync issues. That only happens when there's a sample rate mismatch.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 17, 2008 02:35PM
Apple may of been reading this thread. They just posted a support doc on Creating an Easy Setup for capturing DV with 32 kHz audio

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 17, 2008 04:13PM
Could give it a go but the 12bit audio might cause an issue...

I would still recommend transcoding then its at the correct rate for FCP and for DVD, DV et al.

Strange that FCP doesn't have the option to do various audio bit depths... maybe it doesn't matter - if you get a chance to give it a go let us know if it works!

November 17, 2008 11:29PM
Wow. Cool. I would recommend transcoding to 48/16, due to the reasons Ben pointed out, but frankly, 32/12 shouldn't be much of an issue anymore, especially with today's softwares and processors.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 19, 2008 07:40PM
wow, thank you Michael, thank you for the link I'm going to try it. And thank you to Apple if they were reading this post
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics