Lacie Porsche USB 2

Posted by MikeSJ 
Lacie Porsche USB 2
May 27, 2006 12:59AM
Have any of y'all used a Lacie USB 2 Porsche (not travel) HD with FCP? I'm having technical issues, but I want to point my finger at my Death's Door Quicksilver G4 and not brand new 250 gig HD...

Thanks for the input...
Re: Lacie Porsche USB 2
May 27, 2006 01:06AM
USB: no. Can't keep up with video.

FW: yes. Usually.

Scott
May 27, 2006 01:29AM
Mike,

There's a number of things that "pop" at me like Scott said USB isn't good for video. Your also using a Lacie which depending on who you talk to might be a contributing factor, not too many people here in the forum are what you would call fans of Lacies.

Explain your "technical issues" a little more because it's hard to pin point the cause of the issue with out knowing what the issue is. I'm sure someone here can help you out.

Good Luck

Sean
May 27, 2006 02:17AM

While it can be argued that the life expectancy of LaCie drives may not be up to snuff, it's pretty commonly agreed that USB2 doesn't do video very well.

Apparently USB2 likes to stop and do housekeeping every so often and video doesn't wait.

You're having droped frames and stuttering video problems, right? You may always have that with that drive.

Koz

May 27, 2006 02:29PM
i have two of those useless pieces of crap (bought them just to move files between machines. one of them corrupted hundreds of client files.

three things:
1. USB2.0 does NOT work with FCP (however, seems to be fine with premiere over on the PC side for some reason?)
2. LACIE are reasonably unreliable drives
3. these particular LACIES suck more as they only have ONE port

may answer to your question:

NO!
May 28, 2006 06:07PM
May 28, 2006 06:52PM
thats right kev! i should have KNOWN what to expect from that huh?

mike, go get yourself a g-tech, owc, or promax FIREWIRE drive and id bet all your problems will go away...
May 28, 2006 10:48PM
id say it's the usb, my friend doesn't do anything but use usb2 on his g5 (which lords of my g4 laptop)and i keep trying to explain he's just screwing himself, bu than again, he doesn't think you can drop footage into fcp that isn't created by fcp, so what can i say, his computer runs the sims really well.

anyeways, usb CAN work in fcp, but it's more hassle than it's worth and that IS your main problem, leave usb drives for backup, and storage and connecting to your 360 (which btw is kinda awsome)

the lacie drive probably isn't the problem YET, the porches are, well, notorius for havingoverheating issues

Amateur Teacher
May 28, 2006 11:17PM
> usb CAN work in fcp

Not if you're working with full-quality DV or anything higher up. That's a fact. (Ask the dozen film students who have tried using USB at my former film school's editing lab) And even then, I'm not even sure offline-quality clips will playback from USB properly.
More Information
May 30, 2006 07:36PM
Hmm... not exactly exciting news, but thanks so much. The reason why I initially thought it was the computer and not the drive (and still do) is because it's not just FCP stuff, (details later), but even iTunes locking up while changing album art on songs from the Porsche and the USB2 pci card not mounting my brand new Nano. Not only those, but Finder won't even copy files of any repectable size from the USB to internal...seems too far-reaching to be the drive...although all those things involve the drive...

BTW FCP issues were (and are) locking up after 10-15 minutes of editing, and during print to video, QT exports, etc. Every time this happened I would have to manually shut down my computer (hold power button)...

So I hope this makes my problem more clear, and for the record I do know pros that use the same kind of drive with excellent results...

Thanks again,
mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics