Batch list nightmare

Posted by Jeff Harrell 
Batch list nightmare
December 07, 2008 10:40AM
So last night I logged some material that was shot MOS. This morning I logged my next tape, and only realized after the fact that I'd had the audio turned off.

No problem, says I to myself. I'll just export these as a batch list, change "1V" to "1V, 2A" and get on with my life.

Except for whatever reason, Final Cut completely failed to batch-capture any of the clips I'd logged. It would cough up the notorious "can't locate timecode" error.

Eventually I decided to just re-log all my clips, copying-and-pasting my ins and outs and my notes. The resulting clips batched just fine.

I don't have time today to debug this, but I just wanted to toss this out there, in case someone has encountered this before, or in case somebody runs into this problem and googles about it.

My tapes were shot on an XL H1 at 24F, and are being didged from an HV30 over Firewire using the 1080p24 Firewire Basic preset for HDV.

Re: Batch list nightmare
December 08, 2008 12:58AM
To clarify- could you capture the clips before you changed the 1V to 1V, 2A?

Is it possible you omitted the space in 1V, 2A? What program did you change the batch list? Did you find and replace, or do it by hand?

I've found batch lists to be very finicky, and I only figure out what's going on about half the time.

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
December 08, 2008 02:46AM
> Except for whatever reason, Final Cut completely failed to batch-capture any of the clips I'd
> logged. It would cough up the notorious "can't locate timecode" error.

It used to be that you could use Modify - Clip Settings to change track settings, or at the very least, after hitting Batch Capture you could reset the track settings in Log and Capture, uncheck "Use Logged Clip Settings" and capture that way. Did you try those alternatives? It sounds to me like the export process was the fly in the ointment.

www.derekmok.com
December 08, 2008 04:17AM
The clips captured fine before I did the export-list-import-list thing. That's how I discovered my dumb-stupidness: "Hey, why am I not hearing anything now that it's on clip FOUR?"

There were only a dozen or so clips on that tape that I wanted, so I just changed "1V" to "1V, 2A" by hand. Yeah, with a space.

I tried changing the clip settings, but the track selections weren't editable for me. I can check again sometime; I might have been doing something wrong in my rush. But yeah, just relogging the tape by copying-and-pasting my ins and outs worked fine. It just took more time than I wanted to invest on a Sunday.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

December 08, 2008 06:06AM
> tried changing the clip settings, but the track selections weren't editable for me.

Jeff, I seem to remember that you can only modify clip settings for offline clips .... try using Make Offline on the clips before batch recapturing and then you should be able to modify the track selections
December 08, 2008 06:47AM
Hey, did you guys know that "Modify clip settings" is totally different from "Edit item properties?"

Hi. I'm an idiot. Next time this happens, I'll know just what to do.

Thanks, all.

December 08, 2008 09:23AM
> just relogging the tape by copying-and-pasting my ins and outs worked fine. It just took more
> time than I wanted to invest on a Sunday.

You can relog a pre-existing clip by dragging it into the picture portion of the Log and Capture window. You'd still have to copy and paste Log Notes, but it's a lot faster than dealing with copying and pasting timecodes.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics