Spain...on the Road Again

Posted by Kozikowski 
Spain...on the Road Again
December 19, 2008 01:37AM
How did they get the look on "Spain...on the Road Again." The look is perfect color negative film, but it's clearly shot with the video cameras you occasionally see in the shots when they don't get out of the way fast enough.

I'm guessin' also that everybody's wearing an RF mic because nobody is ever off-mic, and there was a clue in tonight's show when the male lead put a napkin over his sweater and the mic made noise. That was the first and only sound problem I caught in spite of a whole show of impossible sound situations.

Koz
Re: Spain...on the Road Again
December 19, 2008 10:05AM
Link?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 19, 2008 06:50PM
Darn good question. I was hoping somebody would have seen it. It's a PBS show and current on the second PBS channel in LA. I don't know that the web site would tell you much.

Here it is.

[www.spainontheroadagain.com]

There is a video on-line, but that just looks like, well, video. The digital on-air show had me trying to decide which Kodak stock was used to shoot it...until one video camera didn't get out of the way fast enough.

It's pretty much perfect. It white saturates richly and gracefully like a good film stock and I'm sure they shot it 23.98, so the flicker is perfect. They didn't try to inject "film nose" so it looks like 35mm and it's not sparkly over-enhanced so it doesn't have that hard video look.

I was wondering how they did it.

Koz
December 19, 2008 07:07PM
Oh yeah. I saw that. One with Gwyneth Paltrow picking up a hitch hiking Michael Stipe and then sitting around eating food that looked like it cost $2000.00 a plate. Didn't notice the look of the show but got into the food. I imagine they got their look from a damn good color corrector at Rhythm and Hues.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 19, 2008 08:34PM
Yes, well given the jalopy they're riding around in, I suspect that kind of lunch wasn't a stretch. And that's precisely where that kind of look works really well. It makes pictures of food into a private sexual experience.

Or so I've heard.

While RandH would have zero trouble color correcting, I don't know that they have tools to make video into film like that. I'll have to call "over there" and find out.

Koz
December 20, 2008 01:06PM
If it's the "Featured Video" at that link, I could do that in Magic Bullet Looks...easily. Looks like treated 720p.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics