Greyed-out timeline, canvas

Posted by Jeff Johnston 
Greyed-out timeline, canvas
December 24, 2008 03:50PM
Greetings! I'm submitting this at the behest of a friend with a glitch.

He's running FC 3 on an iMac with a late-model Mac OS, not sure which. He has a modest project in the works, maybe 20 minutes total. His first editing job.

He saved and closed it after working on it, then when he opened it the next day, the timeline and canvas were greyed out. He can't figure out how to un-grey them, and I'm not much help, either. Having him call ME for FC help is the ultimate in irony as I'm a serious technical reprobate.

I think he inadvertently hit a combination of keyboard commands but I don't know which ones so I can't help him un-do it.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Jeff Johnston
Re: Greyed-out timeline, canvas
December 24, 2008 03:58PM
> He saved and closed it after working on it, then when he opened it the next day, the timeline
> and canvas were greyed out. He can't figure out how to un-grey them

Even simpler explanation is that he didn't open a sequence. Opening a project file does not mean a sequence is automatically opened. Find the sequence in the Browser and double-click it.

www.derekmok.com
December 25, 2008 02:01AM
What do you mean by greyed out? Grab a screen capture (apple shift 4) and post it.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 26, 2008 08:15PM
I got disconnected from my render files a couple of weeks ago and it resulted in a greyed out sequence canvas, but not the timeline. When I opened the project I got a message that said some clips weren't "optimized" for FCP but didn't say anything about render files. I could see and hear the timeline but the canvas just showed gray as I scrubbed through it or, worse yet, a clip from the same project (not the one on the timeline???) I reset my scratch disk and re-rendered no prob. I'll be interested to hear what this might shake out as??

Andre
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics