Explode video transition

Posted by Outdated Mac user 
Explode video transition
December 28, 2008 02:05AM
I would like to use the video transition called Explode (I use FCP 3, not sure if this is in later versions). However, I noticed that Explode increases the luminance of both the outgoing and incoming clips so that when the transition is done, the color of the incoming clip 'snaps back' to its original luminance level. In other words, you can see a shift in the brightness level of the clip as soon as the transition is over.

I tried to adjust luminance at various points of the incoming clip to cover this problem, but I have not been successful. How can I compensate for this change in brightness while still using Explode?
Re: Explode video transition
December 28, 2008 08:45AM
Haven't tried that particular plug-in before. Usually gamma shifts are a result of incorrect RGB-YUV mapping so the plug-in may be processing the effect in RGB color space. Try this...

Go to sequence settings, there should be a setting somewhere that says "process maximum white as" with an option for "white" or "super-white". Duplicate your sequence and toggle between both of the settings to see if it gets rid of the gamma shift. I recall that there was a slight change in this function in later versions of FCP, and in the current version of FCP, RGB values should be set to map at white point.

Also, double check if you are rendering your sequence in YUV or RGB (you should be rendering in YUV/Y'CbCr).

Hope that helps.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 28, 2008 10:11AM
have you tried to see what that clips do at half opacity? like just take 2 clips and set them to 50 percent opacity then use that same trans and check the luma on that.

you could also try keying your luma value.

Its possible that the plug is opacity sensitive. I had a explode plug (fcp4,5) and it would do that same to mimic the heat caused by an explosion.

it might be possible to smooth that trans with an overlay trans. I have tinted and textured transitions before using an overlay transition.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
December 28, 2008 11:56AM
Easy. Set 2 opacity keyframes (100% & 0%) 3 to 5 frames apart for the effect on the out. If the effect is on its own layer, just use the keyframes to fade the layer out.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 31, 2008 01:45PM
Well, I tried all 3 suggestions. I tweaked opacity keyframes and it worked with 1 clip. But that didn't work on the others, so I tried changing the sequence on the clip from Superwhite to White. That worked well, although there is the same shift in luma & color, but it is localized to just the talent's face instead of the entire image (the face reverts to its original reddish color). I have unsuccessfully played with the color corrector to tone down the red in the face to match the facial color at the beginning of the clip before the transition ends.

One question: if I have processed the sequence of the clip as "White" and placed it in a timeline that has been processed as "Superwhite," will I eventually have problems when I render the entire timeline or export it?
January 01, 2009 04:18AM
>if I have processed the sequence of the clip as "White" and placed it in a timeline that has been
>processed as "Superwhite," will I eventually have problems when I render the entire timeline or
>export it?

No.

1. Setting FCP sequence settings to "white", maps RGB white point (usually 255, in an 8 bit scale), to YUV white point (Y'CbCr) 235 (in an 8 bit scale) instead of YUV 255 (superwhite/clipping point) when RGB footage is imported into your sequence. In this case, the transition converts YUV footage to RGB for processing, then it converts it back to YUV (or whatever your sequence codec uses). Also, this is how it determines FCP treats your pictures and imported graphics clips in the sequence.

2. Gamma shifts. RGB and YUV are 2 different color spaces and have different gamma and chroma mapping. In fact, YUV video has 2 specs in use (601 for SD and 709 for HD). Conversion between color spaces and specs will always result in some kind of loss, but generally, not too noticeable if done properly.

3. "Legalize" the clips before the RGB conversion or those values may be clipped.

4. Do you have any other effects on the clip before the transition. Some filters don't play very well with others. Eg. vignette filters and the technicolor filters (was it Patrick Sheffield?). You may want export these clips as a self contained quicktime movie.

Edit: Things may have changed for earlier FCP versions, but this is how it is done in the last 2 FCP versions.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 01, 2009 05:01AM
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't really understand this, and it is important to know.

There were no effects before the transition. It was just the Explode effect stretched out to cover the outgoing clip and part of the incoming clip. Beside messing with opacity, changing the speed of the transition effect also helped to 'cover' the changes to chroma/luma.
January 01, 2009 01:08PM
crazy eddie, his prices are insane!!!!!!!!! explode transition and store location info screen

thats about the only way i can think of using an explode transition. That or the twilight zone window frame that shatters. thumbs down

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
January 02, 2009 11:32AM
Explode is an old QuickTime Effect and an old timer. Better to stay away from that bundle of filters as most of them have been duplicated. The important ones anyway. Explode is probably only less cheesy than the "Jaws" wipe, so maybe that's why it hasn't been ported to fxplug yet.

My suggestion? Find a better transition. Explode is just horrible.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
January 02, 2009 11:39AM
I'm still not totally convinced about buying FXplugs yet.

My understanding is that you need the plugs in the machine or you can't export, unlike FXscripts which are stored in the project file. Not so good if you're working between different houses.

Also, they still seem to be problematic with graphics cards that are not up to par.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 02, 2009 03:51PM
strypes

i think you said that fx factory was a group of scripts and plugs, but mostly scripts.

they work fine here with my 512 card. i don't have a Kona 3 or any capture card yet but its coming this spring. We will see.

""""
January 02, 2009 04:16PM
Final Cut uses 2 kinds of plug-ins- FXplugs and FXscripts. FXplugs are newer, and were introduced in FCP 5.1.2 (if i recall correctly).

FXscripts are embedded into the clips that you used them, so you can render them out the projects anytime, even after you remove the plug-ins. I don't think you can do that for FXplugs.

There aren't much issues with graphics cards with 512MBs of VRAM. There are with less..

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics