Offline editing using FCP

Posted by indianiec 
Offline editing using FCP
January 08, 2009 05:28PM
Hello,
We have a question regarding online editing of our student short.

The footage was shot on HDcam 23.98 fps, on Sony F900r.
We didn't have access to the original footage. Instead we received a footage that was transferred on DVCam tapes, 29.97 fps NTSC, so we now have to deal with it.
What is the best way to prepare the project for future online editing?

Thanks,
indianiec
Re: Offline editing using FCP
January 08, 2009 06:59PM
Export an EDL, then use Cinema Tools to convert the EDL from 30 to 24fps.

But wait until you lock picture. Also, talk to the people who will be onlining the show...they will (should) know what to do to prepare.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 09, 2009 05:06AM
Thank you Shane, we really appreciate it. This is what I thought originally, but one of the program coordinators said that "since our project wasn't edited as 23.98, now we will have to re-digitize everything, and spend many hours on fixing the cut".
January 09, 2009 07:14AM
> We didn't have access to the original footage. Instead we received a footage that was tr
> transferred on DVCam tapes, 29.97 fps NTSC, so we now have to deal with it.

I didn't have HDCam SR footage, but I did do a film in 2006-2007 where we had DVCProHD tapes and offlined using DVCam tapes. The DVCam tapes had added pulldown, which I removed using Cinema Tools, and edited in 23.98fps at DVCam quality. But I take it you had already edited the DVCam at 29.97fps?

When in doubt, test, test, test. You should have been asking about the frame-rate issue before you started cutting away. It's not unfixable, just time-consuming and costly -- be extra careful proofing your cut points at the online. Back when we did this, I exported a short, self-contained section of timeline into an EDL and a picture-reference movie file to the online facility (it was across the country -- the bi-coastal thing) and they re-assembled the cut, then showed it back to me and my director to see if anything was awry. As far as I remember, there were no major hiccups.

www.derekmok.com
January 09, 2009 04:06PM
> But I take it you had already edited the DVCam at 29.97fps?
it is actually not yet edited to the final cut, but it is already captured as 29.97

Did you capture your clips with FCP as NTSC (29.97) from DVcam and then convert to 24.98 using cinema tools?

And also: I noticed there is an option in FCP capture panel called "DV NTSC advanced 2332 pulldown removal". Is this a way to capture NTSC footage that will be later onlined as 23.98?
And if so, is it better to use this (capture as 23.98) or cinema tools conversion (capture as 29.97 and convert to 23.98)?

Thanks!!!
January 09, 2009 04:10PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics