3D

Posted by 14hdcp 
3D
January 15, 2009 04:49PM
I tried a search with simply "3D" and it found nothing, so I'm asking.

I've been talking to Avid about the new beta version of Media Composer that includes some form of 3D capability. I'm budgeting a 3D movie and looking for any information I can. I know about Cameron/Pace and all that. What I was hoping for was a purely Mac, being very loyal, and a FCP solution to the post production workflow. I've also been an Avid user since it's beginning as well as FCP, so I'm not opposed to using Avid. Just looking for other's opinions.

Barrett Taylor
Re: 3D
January 15, 2009 04:57PM
yeah I saw the 3D thing at an Avid demo several months ago. That was pretty cool. Nothing in FCS that will do that though. No NLE that I know of on the Mac. But then I'm not into that sort of thing. Maybe one day as 3D begins to take over the world.

BTW the search on this forum requires more than 3 characters to bring up something. Thats why "3D" will return nothing.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 15, 2009 05:08PM
Thank you Michael. I kinda knew you would be the first and possibly the only reply.

Also thanks for the three character tip on the search. I did not know that.

See you at the next meeting.

Barrett Taylor
January 15, 2009 06:10PM
And just to help the whole searching thing in the future: I'm pretty sure what y'all are talking about is stereoscopic cinematography.

Suck on that, Google!

January 15, 2009 06:46PM
I do wish that fcp and motion should be able to handle the 3d file types.
Motion should have extrusion, bevel, and shadow, but i guess thats what the next version.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
January 16, 2009 02:04PM
Not what we're talking about! We're talking about stereoscopic 3D viewing. REAL 3D, not renderings.

It's a hot topic and likely a new wave. Get out those ping-pong paddles....

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle Dynamic Trim with Command-Shift-D!

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
January 16, 2009 02:28PM
I always wanted to be a golf club...drinking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 16, 2009 04:54PM
so this is different than what AE does really well and what motion does without shadow? its just that fcp needs it?

like moving 3 objects in z space and adding a cam.

i would guess that the topic may be over my head if its not that. a simple," no just shut-up corbett " will do if i am wrong.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
January 16, 2009 06:18PM
I suppose if someone says they're budgeting a 3D movie, they're not talking about animating objects in three dimensions - the kind of thing done in After Effects, Motion and Final Cut (if you roll-your own FxScript plugins that use the optional 3D co-ordinate system available in the language).

They're more likely to be lashing two cameras together and wanting to edit two streams of video at the same time in a piece of software that gives control over perceived distance between those cameras (using parallax), blurring to direct people's view (as the depth of field in some '3D' systems can be very large).

For now, I imagine it would be possible to edit stereoscopic streams using multicam, probably by doing a 2D edit on all the same eye, and then sending XML version of the project to a helper app that could encode the footage using the scheme of your favourite 3D playback system.

If 'real' playback is unavailable, I'm picturing someone looking at two monitors with a piece of card between them, with a video stream for each eye with their head in exactly the right place.

I posted about editing 3D last year.

PS: Pity they don't sell this as 2.25D, stereoscopic vision gives you that, but not much more. But no gimmick was every marketed effectively by being entirely truthful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics