Export high Quality FLV's

Posted by mattclarkeis 
Export high Quality FLV's
January 21, 2009 08:54PM
I'm cutting a nice piece for a high end university web site... the piece was shot on the varicam at 720 24p (DVCPRO HD). The client wants FLV's... I have flash installed on my system and can export flv's direct from FCP but I'm dubious about this being the best work flow...

what is the best way to deliver high quality FLV's that will stream well on a website??

thanks,

matt
Re: Export high Quality FLV's
January 23, 2009 07:32AM
Use On2 Exporter if you want to export directly from the TL.
You can also use On2 FlixPro but it will not export from the TL. However it give the most control over your encode. I also has a few HD flv formats.
I do a lot of flv and the FlixPro has been the best by far.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
January 23, 2009 08:01AM
The first thing to note is that there are two flavors of "FLV." One is a legacy format called VP6. The other is just plain old H.264. You should find out from your client which one they want, because using VP6 when you don't have to involves some serious compromises.

I have a free copy of Flash that I never intend to use; it comes bundled with the After Effects/Photoshop/Illustrator boxed set or whatever they call it. Because it's installed on my machine, I can generate VP6 files through Compressor for those incredibly rare occasions when a client demands them.

The trick is to create a new "Quicktime Export Components" setting, and choose the "Flash Video (FLV)" encoder type. Once you've got that set up, it's the exact same workflow pipeline you've been using all along: Master to a Quicktime movie from Final Cut, then pass that Quicktime to Compressor via the application or a droplet.

January 23, 2009 08:17AM
Jeff that makes my manly part a bit more attentive this morning. I am gonna try that.

Have you had any problems with compatibility to a Flash 8 Player?

Meaning, if I have a client look at it on their PC with say Windows XP and the Adobe Flash 8 Player will it play without a hitch?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
January 23, 2009 08:23AM
That's not my business, Corbett. I'm an editor, not an IT guy. When the client provides me with a set of specifications, I deliver to those specifications.

January 23, 2009 09:39AM
I just tested the compatibility on Windows XP then on Windows Vista. My h264 movies will not play from the web or on the system drive.

""""
January 23, 2009 12:33PM
Flash-8 will not play h.264. If you want your audience members to be able to play h.264 in flash, they will need to upgrade to a more recent version of the player. The current version is Flash-10. Your site can be designed to make the upgrade automatic. Most computers today already have the Flash-10 player installed. Flash-10 works in most operating systems in use today, including Windows XP, 98, Vista, Mac, and Linux.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
January 23, 2009 12:45PM
Flash 9 introduced H.264 compatibility. Flash 10 is current, I suppose. Last I heard it was in beta.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 23, 2009 02:56PM
What I did was update the Adobe Flash Player to Adobe Flash 10 Player on a new Vista machine in my sons room. Then I entered a url to access the file on my server.

It would not play thru the browser and it then prompted a download. Once I had the file on the desktop, the computer gave me the warning that it was an unknown file format and asked me to choose an application to open the file I chose Adobe Flash 10 Player.

It said "can not play file".

I read some articles and forums for a while, and found an article that was saying something about changing the extension to .flv.

I did change the extension and then uploaded that file to my server and went thru the same process. I got the same result.

I even saw it in this article here and still have not broken the code that gets me there.

As soon as i can figure out what to do on the pc I will be switching all of my web video to h264.

Do you have an example website other than YouTube that has this running and viewable by PC's?

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics