Compressing to Exact Size

Posted by michaelpaulucci 
Compressing to Exact Size
January 25, 2009 06:42PM
Hello

I am trying upload some video to the web that is about 4 gigs. The website I am uploading the video to wants to files to be EXACTLY 20MB. Using Compressor or Quicktime conversion, how does one compress a file to get an exact file size? They want it as a .mov

any ideas?
Re: Compressing to Exact Size
January 25, 2009 06:47PM
I'm not even sure that's possible, to create a non-trivial Quicktime movie that's precisely 20,971,520 bytes long, not one byte more or less. Quicktime movies are divided into specifically sized data structures called atoms, and there might not be a way to arrange those atoms to get them to line up to exactly that number of bytes, at least not if you're including any meaningful information in the file.

You can make one that's very close to 20 MB without going over, of course. Just use a tool like Bitrate Pro to figure out the bit rate of a 20 MB file of that movie's duration, take an appropriate number of kilobits per second out for whatever audio format you're using, then tell Compressor to use the resulting bit rate minus a little bit for overhead and such. You'll get a file that's quite close to 20 MB, if you play your cards right.

January 25, 2009 08:19PM
Or you can grab Sorenson Squeeze- it lets you pick a more exacting rate. Not free of course...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
January 25, 2009 09:04PM
I used to use Autodesk Cleaner at my previous gig:

[usa.autodesk.com]

Allows you to punch in a target file size and go.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 26, 2009 05:22AM
>Using Compressor or Quicktime conversion, how does one compress a file to get an exact file size?

Compressor can provide an estimate file size based on your settings (it's in inspector), then you work from there.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics