FCP Studio 2 and Avid MC3 on Same MacBook Pro... ?

Posted by naivefornowjoe 
FCP Studio 2 and Avid MC3 on Same MacBook Pro... ?
February 18, 2009 11:24PM
I'm not sure how sinful this question is:

I curing assist edit in an Avid Newscutter house-- and wanted to get a laptop with similar setup for personal work and growth.. so I'd ordered Media Composer 3 software only and have been searching for a suitable laptop for Avid.

During my computer search, I've come across a used MacBook Pro at an unbeatable price, loaded with postproduction software including FCP Studio2. I used to use FCP5 all the time, and am very excited to possibly get back to Final Cut regular usage.

So, Is this kosher? Both software on one MacBook Pro? Do I HAVE to partition the Hard Drive? Can I make this work???

Thanks.

Humble and Naive, Joe
Re: FCP Studio 2 and Avid MC3 on Same MacBook Pro... ?
February 18, 2009 11:49PM
I'm running OS X 10.5.6/QT 7.6/FCP 6.0.5 and Avid 3.x on the same MacBookPro with no issues. I am just using DV and DVCPro HD, so I can't say every codec combo will work. But so far so good.

BTW, make sure the MacBookPro seller includes the master discs for Final Cut Studio when they send you the laptop. If not, you're not getting a legal version of FCP.
February 19, 2009 12:16AM
Yep...no problem. I have FCS2 & Avid Express Pro on mine with no problems. No partitioning necessary... just don't run them at the same time winking smiley

I've come across a used MacBook Pro at an unbeatable price, loaded with postproduction software including FCP Studio2.

RED FLAG
- I avoid set-ups like this like the plague unless (like the previous poster mentions) all the original software disks come with the laptop and the serials are transferable...otherwise it's totally illegal (whether for personal use or not).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 19, 2009 12:25AM
Yeah, first thing with a used mac is to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. First thing with a new Mac too. Then if the fellow gave you all the disks re-install those. It's not that the Mac or the apps wont work, it's if they fail you are hosed.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 19, 2009 09:31AM
Thank you both for the tips. I will have to follow through on the software disks and see if this works out now..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics