Photoshop Layers not opening

Posted by robinmonk 
Photoshop Layers not opening
June 04, 2006 12:43AM
I have suddenly been unable to open a photoshop layered file which I imported into an FCP project -- normally i have just imported the layered file dragged it into the timeline and double clicked it to open the Video layers --- any ideas why this feature suddenly isn't working?

Thanks

zzzzzz

rob

FCP 7.3 on Mac Pro3,1
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

Sequence Settings HDTV 16:9 1920 x 1080 Apple ProRes 422 Proxy
Audio: 48 KHZ 16-bit Channel Grouped
Re: Photoshop Layers not opening
June 04, 2006 01:15AM
Could be that the "Maximize Compatibility" feature isn't turned on. Open the file in Photoshop and do a Save As with a different name, make sure you check "Maximize Compatibility" if you are asked, then try again.
June 04, 2006 02:29AM
Thanks Derek -- I checked that, and that's not it -- I am very in favor of maximizing compatibly, in life as well as Adobe Photoshop -- so it was definitely checked.

I worked around it by saving each layer as it's own file - -then imported the folder....still mystified as to why this stopped working.

rob

FCP 7.3 on Mac Pro3,1

June 05, 2006 01:19PM
I opened an imported, layered PSD recently which was oversize, about 3600 pixels wide, 1900 tall, which I needed for zoom-in. On my Dual 800 it definitely took several seconds of Spinning Beachball of Death before it revealed in the timeline. Are you allowing time? The mor elayers, the more time.

Other notions:

Do you have any empty layers in the file? FCP doesn't like them.

Are you attempting to open anything except RGB PSD files? Greyscale is problematic.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
June 05, 2006 03:05PM

....ah...the dread "Spinning Beachball of Death." I have NIGHTMARES of that thing.

I may not have allowed enuf time -- I tend to be veryu impatient.... but there was no aofrementioned beachball, just a single file which did not respond to opening as a layered file.

No other elements that should have caused the problem, to my knowledge. I did solve the problem with the workaround -- but want to figure it out....will let you know when I do.

thanks.

r

rob

FCP 7.3 on Mac Pro3,1

June 07, 2006 07:03PM
I think this might be a bug. I have a PS file online for people to download to work with in FCP doing a cut out animation tutorial, and a few people have reported this happening.

I did think at first that they were doing something wrong, or that the download was messing up the file, but I got several requests for help with this and it happened even with zipped files over email.

The other day I had to do a similar job with layered PS files sent to me by a graphic artist who I work with all the time and I got the same problem. No go no dice no how. I think that one of them may have started behaving after I opened it in PS and changed the layer order, then resaved, but I was on a tight deadline and I don't really recall the steps that worked. Just resaving in PS locally didn't help.

Can you try shuffling the layer order and resaving to see if it helps, Robin?
June 08, 2006 11:00AM
Do you mean reshuffle the order in Photoshop, then re-import?

Or "view clip in editor" and try it through FCP?

Thanks for your help.

r

rob

FCP 7.3 on Mac Pro3,1

June 08, 2006 07:35PM
Yeah, moving them about in Photoshop. I think this is what did it for me - I just changed the layer order, then changed it back and saved as a new name. I'm not positive if this was the thing that helped, or if it was a coincidence, so it would be cool if you could verify one way or the other.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics