Hey all, Geno here with an output question regarding footage going to a Davinci for color correction.

Posted by Geno Andrews 
I'm cutting a short. The footage is odd compared to what I've cut in the past.

960x720 (DVD Pro HD 720p60) 59.94 fps

I've cut the project and now the filmmaker wants me to output a master file for color correction on the Davinci. I output the file with the same specs as the original footage. But the color guys sayy they can't import the file. ????

So now they want me to output is a format they can open but I don't see any presets from Compressor that match what they want without converting to 29.97 and changing the pixel resolution.

Can anyone suggest a preset I could use so they can import and color correct?

Thanks,

Geno
What do they want?

The DVCPRO HD codec is only available on computers with FCP installed, so that is why they can't see it. But these guys are using a DaVinci, no? Rent a DVCPRO HD Deck (AJ-HD1800...takes larger tapes that have longer record times) and then give them a tape. DaVinci guys are used to tape.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Shane! Thanks. Didn't know that.

Renting a deck and outputting to tape isn't in their budget. (At least not from my end.)

What FILE can I give them they can work with if I output from FCP? Can I output as Animation or some other format they can use?

Does changing the format degrade the quality?

Can they color correct the film and give me back an M2V for Studio Pro so I don't need to bring their file back into FCP?

Please advise...

And your picture is freaking me out.
>What FILE can I give them they can work with if I output from FCP?

A question to ask them. I don't know what they want. They do.

>Can I output as Animation or some other format they can use?

A question to ask them.

>Does changing the format degrade the quality?

Animation? No. HUGE increase in file size though. Dunno any system that can play back that format in real time. They might take that and convert it to a format they can use. But again, A question to ask them.

>Can they color correct the film and give me back an M2V for Studio Pro so I don't need to bring their file back into FCP?

A question to ask them.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Thanks buddy.

The picture is still freaking me out.

g-
Why? Too happy? Or do I look like some deranged pedophile? A 3 year old took the picture...if that offers any insight...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Re: Hey all, Geno here with an output question regarding footage going to a Davinci for color correction.
February 23, 2009 06:46PM

do I look like some deranged pedophile? A 3 year old took the picture...

eye rolling smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why? Too happy? Or do I look like some deranged
> pedophile? A 3 year old took the picture...if
> that offers any insight...

Shane, I would love to have the 3 year old replace the blind, all thumbs, auto focusing using videographer that shot this reality show I am working on. This kid can capture a moment!

I will be happy to provide naptime breaks as needed.
Re: Hey all, Geno here with an output question regarding footage going to a Davinci for color correction.
February 24, 2009 11:50AM
Looks like you have a young Guild member-to-be on your hands...

www.strypesinpost.com
February 24, 2009 12:39PM
> I would love to have the 3 year old replace the blind, all thumbs, auto focusing using
> videographer that shot this reality show I am working on.

Probably better than the thirtysomething-year-old, hyperactive, zoom-obsessed, white-balance-ignorant, non-editing-knowledgeable, whip-panning videographers that shot three or four reality shows I had to edit a few years ago...

Man, what happened to good old-fashioned camera sense?

www.derekmok.com
Camera sense went away when budgets cut production costs, and instead of hiring knowledgeable people, they hire PA's and hand them cameras. Same thing that happened in the editing world...anyone who has the software can call themselves and editor.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics