Log & Transfer Question - "Audio Mixed Down to Stereo"

Posted by otherpaw 
Log & Transfer Question - "Audio Mixed Down to Stereo"
February 24, 2009 12:49PM
Hi all -

Specs: Intel MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.5.6, FCP 6.0.5, QT 7.6. AVCHD footage shot 720/24P via class 4 SDHC cards on Panasonic HMC150.

Log and Transfer window. Transcoding AVCHD files to ProRes 422. I can import video or audio & video - check box next to audio says "Audio Mixed Down to Stereo."

What does this mean? I recorded two separate (mono) audio inputs and want - nay, need - them to be separable in FCP. Does 'mix down to stereo' actually MIX the two mono tracks - or does it just link them together as a stereo pair that can be unlinked in editing?

Thanks!
Re: Log & Transfer Question - "Audio Mixed Down to Stereo"
February 24, 2009 04:18PM
I have a similar setup; Panasonic HMC-152 and I always shoot 720p25 or 50 too. The default "Audio Mixed Down to Stereo" is a misnomer, in my view: if separate tracks are recorded, separate tracks are brought in in the transcode process.

The tracks do come in as linked pairs. hth, kl
February 24, 2009 09:48PM
Thank you!!
February 24, 2009 09:53PM
It's a mixdown of 5.1 surround that most AVCHD cameras support.
February 25, 2009 06:33PM
Thanks Tom; that adds to the knowledge base.

A Q., if I may: when you say "5.1 surround" do you mean the AAC compression that this codec uses, rather than the multiple inputs that 5.1 uses? I ask this because the 150, like most of the rest of them AFAIK, only record a maximum of two tracks into the camera.

My recollection is that this camera records its sound at the highest compression that AAC compression supports (is this 320kbits/sec.?) I just tried to find a reference for this, but could not. Cheers, kl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics