Video Quality

Posted by jehrlich616 
Video Quality
February 26, 2009 07:29PM
I am capturing my screen using Screenium, and when i bring the video that I have captured into Quicktime, it looks great, perfect, but when i bring it into FCP, it looks grainy and crappy.... what do I do?
Re: Video Quality
February 26, 2009 07:46PM
I am sure it has something to do with my settings, because when I look at my video in FCP from my BIN in the VIEWER, it looks fine, but i only gets grainy when i drag it into my sequence!
EXPORTING
February 26, 2009 03:11PM
I am having problems exporting a 60 second video spot I am creating. I am using FCP version 6.0.

I am exporting my video as a Quicktime movie, with "Current Settings" selected, and I also tried doing it as a Quicktime Conversion, using thhat H.264 setting, but my video is comming out grainy, and not looking it's best. How can I export this movie (NOT concerned about size at all) to its fullest and best quality???

Thanks all!
Re: EXPORTING
February 26, 2009 03:36PM
Did you update to 6.0.5?

Export to QuickTime Movie. Open it in the QT player and in movie properties make sure it's set to high quality.
February 26, 2009 04:01PM
Below is a link to the screenshot of the Movie properties panel.

[www.jonathanehrlich.com]

Any other suggestions???
February 26, 2009 04:03PM
Click on video track. Is it set to high quality?
February 26, 2009 04:04PM
In FCP? or Quicktime?
February 26, 2009 04:06PM
yes, in Quicktime, it is set to high quality
February 26, 2009 04:10PM
If you export to QuickTime Movie using current settings and the video is set to high quality in the T player, that's as good as it can get. That's the original format that you're working on in FCP. Perhaps you can post a screen shot of the problem that you're seeing. Perhaps you might tell us what format you're working in and what the content is.
February 26, 2009 04:17PM
Here's potentially a simple explanation: You're working in DV, which is just 720x480. If you tried to play the movie file in QuickTime Player at anything more than Actual Size (eg. if you play at Full Screen), then it's a blowup and the image will go soft and grainy, since most computer monitors are 1024x768 or more.

www.derekmok.com
February 26, 2009 04:19PM
so how can i get it to 1024 x 768, FULL RESOLUTION?? (Thanks for helping me by the way. Haven't used LAFCPUG in years until today, because I haven't been working in video for a while, but it's a nice welcome back! smileys with beer
February 26, 2009 04:25PM
> so how can i get it to 1024 x 768, FULL RESOLUTION??

You can't. Unless you had captured the original footage wrong. If these are the movie properties you get when using Export - QuickTime Movie, Current Settings, you were editing in a DV timeline. Which means unless you were rendering everything as you went, you had captured DV, which probably means you had shot DV. DV is 720x480. That is the "Full Resolution" of this format.

You haven't yet ascertained if that's what you are seeing, though.

www.derekmok.com
February 26, 2009 04:29PM
Ok, sounds good, thanks so much, I appreciate it!!
February 26, 2009 04:32PM
In order to gauge the actual picture quality, you have to use an external broadcast monitor, not a computer monitor. Do that.

www.derekmok.com
February 26, 2009 07:23PM
problem..... I am importing video from screenium, a program used to capture video on my screen, and when i watch it in Quicktime, it looks great, but wen I bring it into FCP, it looks grainy....???
February 26, 2009 07:59PM
I have merged your 2 threads as they are repeating the same questions. Please don't post the same question in different threads...someone will post an answer eventually, but you have to give more info to get more precise help:

* The footage from Screenium - what are the properties?
* Does your Sequence Settings match those properties?
* Try setting your canvas @ 100%

If you posted a screen cap of the footage window, it may help us diagnose it for you.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 26, 2009 08:13PM
here is a link to a screen shot. The left window is my viewer, the raw video file from my bin. the right window is the timeline, sequence video. You can see the difference.

[www.jonathanehrlich.com]
February 26, 2009 08:15PM
You still have not posted the info I asked for. See above.

February 26, 2009 08:17PM
The footage is fine, I know its not the footage. When i look at it in Quicktime, its perfect. And when I view it in FCP from the BIN, its perfectt, its when I drag it into the Sequence thats the problem.
February 26, 2009 08:18PM
In order to get the clarity that I needed, the Screenium video is set to Photo - JPEG decoder
February 26, 2009 08:18PM
Dude...never said it was the footage. I need the footage properties and the Sequence Settings if you would like some help.

February 26, 2009 08:19PM
What is the size? (720 x 480??)
What are your Sequence Settings? Are they the same size?

February 26, 2009 08:19PM
The screen is completely unsuitable for compression into a video format. If you're make screen captures for use on a television display you need to use a hardware scan converter. If you want to use the output for the web or other computer delivery you need to save your material and edit in FCP in a codec that works well with this. Photo JPEG usually does a pretty good job.
February 26, 2009 08:22PM
Im not sure what that means? Why is the video quality perfect in the viewer, but not on the canvas? what do Ihave todotomatch those videoqualities. The ACTUAL video is 1182 x 860 pixels, 24-bit color
February 26, 2009 08:23PM
I am using this for DVD purposes
February 26, 2009 08:23PM
I give up... sad smiley

February 26, 2009 08:24PM
No, please. Im sorry, I need to complete this by tonight. Im so confused.
February 26, 2009 08:28PM
I understand what you are saying, the theory behind it, but step by step, i dont know how to fix it?!
February 26, 2009 08:28PM
SD or HD DVD?

February 26, 2009 08:29PM
Your material is not suitable for use in DVD. It's going to break up into garbage when it's compressed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics