OT: DVD burning

Posted by Adage12 
OT: DVD burning
February 27, 2009 12:10AM
Hello: I have an iMac and I have been editing some commercials as well as a weekly 1/2 hr episode. The thing is when I am burning the :30 DVD, for which I don't use iDVD or any other programs, it skips when I play it back. Also it takes it much longer than before to burn. When I burn the 1/2 hr episode using iDVD it does the same thing. I am out of warranty on my Mac so its gonna cost me to fix it. Does anybody know what might be causing this? Specially the longer burning time. Also, can I just get an external DVD drive and burn it on that?

Thanks.
Re: DVD burning
February 27, 2009 01:59AM
when I am burning the :30 DVD, for which I don't use iDVD or any other programs,

then how are you burning the dvd? you have to use SOMETHING...?
February 27, 2009 03:40AM
You probably ARE out of warranty. Mac burners are really bad and seem to get worse when they get old. Had 4, none of them met the quality required to burn DVD masters for duplication.

Now using LaCie Lightscribe. It's fast and takes care of pro-looking labels as well. Will recommend!
February 27, 2009 10:55AM
pro-looking labels

i dont know that lightscribe and its monochromatic holographic-looking result really qualify as "pro-looking"
February 27, 2009 02:07PM
Its a lot better than crayon + poor handwriting tongue sticking out smiley
February 27, 2009 02:42PM
I am burning the :30 sec dvd's using the dvd drive, no dvd program like iDVD. Because there is not much data on there. But wether I use iDVD or not it skips. Any suggestions?
February 27, 2009 02:53PM
im not following what youre doing with the DVD. are you just using it as a medium to transfer your spot to a duplication house/broadcast facility or are you trying to play from the DVD disc for end use?

in my experience i have NEVER EVER been able to PLAY a full-screen (720x480) NTSC mov file from a data dvd without it hanging up, skipping, locking, etc. i dont know that the data rate of a dvd (in a "non-authored" state) is satisfactory to pull that off...
February 27, 2009 03:32PM
Yes, I am burning the data file as well as the actual spot which is a .mov NTSC. I then drop it off at the cable station. But now you are saying that you have never played a .mov without skip, so I guess it does happen, its just that it did not do that before. So I thought there is something wrong with the dvd drive.
February 27, 2009 05:29PM
nope. ive been delivering data dvds to local cable and broadcast for years that behave just the way you describe. all is well. i think you just may have been lucky before and had movie content that wasnt super heavy on the codec or something...

just to comfort yourself. do a test and copy your movie back to our hard drive and im sure it will play normally.
February 27, 2009 09:32PM
Thx for the help. Now that I think of it the 1/2 hr episode, which I burn and author on iDVD runs fine. But, as a footnote if I were to use an external dvd drive to burn dvd's would you have any recommendations? Thx.
February 27, 2009 09:36PM
> Now that I think of it the 1/2 hr episode, which I burn and author on iDVD runs fine.

Aie aie aie.
That bit of bad information affects the whole diagnosis.

Originally I also would have suspected a bad DVD drive, since both video DVDs and data DVDs weren't burning properly.

But if a video DVD is fine, then it's almost certainly Wayne's diagnosis -- nearly no movie file, even an H.264 MPEG-4, would play back smoothly from a data DVD. It's not fast enough. Always copy to a local drive first.

Gotta be more careful about the information you provide. We can't see your system, we can't see your problem, so you have to be exact.

www.derekmok.com
February 27, 2009 11:31PM
Here's one:

Toast 10 pro will not burn DVD movies on my admin level user ID. Won't do it. Tried there tech support, (level one they don't do level 2 other than email and they have not gotten back to me after 3 days.) Anyway, no solution from Roxio.

I've... uninstalled and trashed the appropriate preferences.

used different media high quality DVD media.
changed the burn speed to 1x
The files I've tried to burn are .mov and or mpg4. None bigger than 40 megs.

I've Posted to Lgapug and apple forms and the Roxio forum. No luck.

I've considered updating the firm ware on my pioneer super drive BUT,...

I can burn using Idvd.

I can burn if I set up a new admin user.

So it must be something in my user id that is causing me to get the same errror message over and over. Here's is the error message I get verbatim.

"Could not record the disc because you don't have the required access permissions. Result Code = -5000"

and regarding permissions...

I have rebuilt several times. AND made sure that the file and the toast program itself have me and all users as read write.

What could be causing this? Another preference in the preference folder a "conflict" like in the old OS8 days? I actually went a deleted both my preference folders in their entirety, (I know stupid and useless,) but it didn't help either and I spent half the day reinstalling or reregistration programs, etc.

I'm totally stumped. Has anybody seen or experienced anything like this before? I have been using Toast since like version 5 and this is a new Mac Pro and a new problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or solutions.

Chad.

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D:

Firmware Revision: BC14
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media:
Type: DVD-R
ID: MUST 001
Blank: Yes
Erasable: No
Overwritable: Yes
Appendable: Yes
Write Speeds: 1x, 2x, 4x
February 28, 2009 01:11AM
I'm confused. Are you just trying to get a .mov or a .mpeg onto a DVD to transport to somewhere else as a data file?

If so, just insert the disc, wait for it to pop up on your desktop, then drag your .mov onto the disc icon. Then open the disc icon and press the 'burn' button.

When you get the data to its destination, copy from the DVD to the harddrive by dragging and dropping it onto the other desktop, then remove the disk and play the local copy.

You don't need toast for this. Or even a DVD, if the files are under 700MB. A CD would work just as well.

February 28, 2009 01:16AM
Sorry for the confusion. I am unable to burn a Toast DVD self playing video disc. I'm using a small file size to keep it simple. These are .mov and or mpg4 files. The problem is Toast will not work in "make a Self playing moive / video DVD. I can burn data.

The end result were to be sent in for consideration for awards. but that is besides the pointwinking smiley

Does that clear it up for you? I do know the procedure the program Toast will not work on my Admin level main user. Toast usually does a better job than Idvd and I don't own DVD studio Pro.
February 28, 2009 02:11AM
At 40mb, they must be either very short or already heavily compressed, yes? At DV compression, 5 minutes = 1GB, so your stuff is less than 15 seconds long?

If not, try not compressing before you go to toast. Maybe try adding the native file and let toast do the compression?

February 28, 2009 03:08PM
They are commercials that I shot. I'm a commercial director here in Los Angles. 15sec. spot. But when I started out I was trying to burn a self playing movie DVD with Toast using a 100 mbs and even a 400mb. I only dropped down to the small file to eliminate the potential that the program was choking on a bigger file. That is not the case.

I've tried 20 different files. 20. it's not the compression it something to do with the way I transferred my user admin Id to this computer when I set it up about 3 weeks ago. I set up a new user and then ported my files over. I've even tried mov from another drive.

I hate to think I have to wipe the computer and re import everything just to get toast to work under my main user account. And REMEMBER I was able to burn any of the files under a new admin on this computer with toast and the media DVD just buy creating a new virgin admin user.

So.... It's some kind of permissions conflict or other between my files and my user name and toast.

That's as far as my thinking takes me. I was hoping to find someone who had this exact problem and find their solution. Thanks for the response though better than being igonred by Roxio.

Best,

Chad.
February 28, 2009 07:23PM
Oh, I didn't realise you transferred your user account. Mustn't have been following the thread closely enough, sorry.

If it works under a new user then all signs point to it being a corrupt user account. If it were me, I would start from scratch now, rather than waste time trying to figure out exactly what's gone wrong.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics