Quicktime export

Posted by xavpil 
Quicktime export
March 03, 2009 11:03AM
I exported a QT using "export>QT movie"
When I open the exported file it launches FCP
Can I share this file with people who don't have FCP. Will it launch their QT application?
Re: Quicktime export
March 03, 2009 11:09AM
Need more info...what codec? If you want to change the icon, select file / Command "I" / Open With / Quicktime Player (changes the icon to a QT icon).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 03, 2009 11:16AM
My sequence is Apple Prores 422 (HQ) which would make the exported the same.
I don't worry so much about the file's logo, but about the fact that it launches FCP in my bay.
March 03, 2009 11:21AM
The file's logo will change what app launches...and whomever you send it to will have to have the ProRes reader on their machine.

March 03, 2009 11:27AM
oh i see
Thanks JOey
March 03, 2009 11:51AM
> Can I share this file with people who don't have FCP. Will it launch their QT application?

"Open with" is not embedded in the file; it's a preference on whatever computer is accessing a file. So it does you no good to change "Open with" on your computer. Whoever you're sending the file to needs to open the file with the right software.

When all else fails, launch the necessary application first, then use the Open command from in there.

www.derekmok.com
March 03, 2009 12:11PM
D,

That person will not be able to view his movies without the ProRes reader if FCP is not installed.

March 03, 2009 05:40PM
yes, they have to have the same codec.

if the other end is MAC based, but doenst have FCP, the files will appear as QuickTime files,
and open in QuickTime player.
(my experience from a few years ago)

but if the other end is PC, and not Mac, they might not even be able to open the file at all.
this has happened to me once or twice.

if they are PC, i'd suggest opening those files in QT, or compressor and exporting again.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics