HDV to DVD

Posted by johnnyhmn 
HDV to DVD
March 02, 2009 02:09PM
Hi,
Helping a church to buy a cheap HD cam, I recommended the minidv Canon VIXIAHV30, or the flash memory VIXIAHF10 or Panasonic HDC-SD9. They don't need to record in the cam or edit anything, but just go directly to a DVD Recorder, since they sell the service dvd at the end. My question is how to go from HDV or AVCHD directly to a dvd recorder? Can you record HDV signal thru any of the cables to a dvd recorder?
Will firewire work for this, even for AVCHD?
Thanks!

Johnny
Re: HDV to DVD
March 02, 2009 05:48PM
Some DVD recorders can record to DVD from the FW input, but FW is not a pass-through cable. You have to be in VTR mode for the FW to work and that means you can't shoot at the same time.

However, some/most cameras have composite or component pass-through cables for monitoring. You should be able to connect your DVD recorder to these and burn a DVD while shooting the service.

Andy
March 03, 2009 03:49PM
Thanks Andy,
Will this be the same for HDV(HV30) and for AVCHD(HF10) ???

Johnny
March 03, 2009 03:57PM
Likely.

Check the IN/OUT specifications for the cameras you listed to be sure that they support composite/component out. If they have a composite out, then it'll be standard def through that (the camera does a downconvert). With a component out there is usually a setting that can give you either 1080i or 480i.

Then you should check the specs on the DVD recorder and make sure it can record from those cable inputs.

Andy
March 03, 2009 04:46PM
Thanks Andy! Will try it.
God bless you!

Johnny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics