Light Rays

Posted by Chuck Spaulding 
Light Rays
March 10, 2009 04:26PM
I have a scene that was shot in a church and would like to add "God Ray's" coming through the windows.

Does anyone know of a plugin for FCP, Motion or AE that works well for this?
Re: Light Rays
March 10, 2009 04:28PM
You said it in your subject line. LIGHT RAYS...it is in the VIDEO FILTERS area under GLOW.

Too much?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 10, 2009 04:44PM
Go with the best... Trapcode shine! [www.trapcode.com]

The plug works for FCP, Motion and AE - will work in 8, 16 and 32 floating point and you can get from Red Giant. [www.redgiantsoftware.com]

I have used most of the Trapcode plugins on AE and they rock in fact they have to be my all time favourite plugins!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 10, 2009 07:15PM
Ditto, Ben thumbs down

Shine has to be the most used plug-in in history...and when it's used right, I never get tired of seeing it in pieces. Trapcode is pretty much the only company where the creator of the software answers Tech Support questions (Peder Norrby).

We're working on the BETA right now for Particular 2 and Peder is running the forum!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 10, 2009 07:36PM
Tell him I love him...

...in a totally platonic non-sexual in fact never met kinda way for making my After Effects experience one of pure joy!

I particularly like Particular winking smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 11, 2009 08:19AM
There's also a CoreMelt plug called guess what: God Rays. Does exactly what you're saying.
March 13, 2009 06:32PM
I ended up using Trapcode's Shine. Easy to use looks great in 16bit, I was too impatient to try 32bit.

These are very good plugins.

Thanks.
March 13, 2009 06:40PM
For next time, bear in mind that 8-bit and 16-bit compositing are the same thing only with more precision, while 32-bit compositing is an entirely different operation. While 8- and 16-bit uses a gamma curve, 32-bit compositing is in linear space, and most compositing operations work completely differently under the hood. It's not just about precision, it's a whole different process.

Yes, rendering in 32-bit can take longer, but the results are worth it. I can't remember the last time I rendered anything in 8- or 16-bit. Maybe a title card or two, but nothing that actually composites one layer on top of another.

March 13, 2009 06:47PM
OK, I'm rendering in 32bit to see if there's much of a difference.

Either way I'm pretty satisfied with the output.
March 13, 2009 06:58PM
16-Bit is just fine for Shine Chuck...good choice. 16-Bit will get rid of any steppy gradients and give a nice smooth glow without any "banding". You want a tip? You can animate the rays to shimmer by keyframing & controlling their detail and phase inside the "Shimmer" parameter. It looks like there's nothing to it...but there's a lot to the plug-in. You just need to dive in and play.

For what you need it for, you don't need 32-Bit IMHO unless you want to jack up your render time for kicks spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 14, 2009 06:44AM
Glad you like it Chuck - I just used them in this exact way for a promo to create "God Rays" it was very rough but add the Shine and boom you get a very passable effect.

As Joey said - you gotta check out the other plugins and have a look at the tutorials and have a play because you can create some fantastic sequences with a bit more knowledge of the plugins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics