Using Render Files for reconstruction

Posted by J.Corbett 
Using Render Files for reconstruction
March 17, 2009 09:00AM
I have a project that i did 7 years ago. The media is gone but i still have the render files on a old drive. I do not need this for a client.
The story is about how my cousin went to iraq and came back then died 5-days later in a crash.

Is there a way to use the render files to reconstruct any parts of it?

It doesn't even have to be full res.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Using Render Files for reconstruction
March 17, 2009 10:46AM
Jeff
I've never really analyzed the render file naming to see if there was any hidden rhyme or reason that might help in reconstructing timeline placement, but I'm guessing not. I think you'll have to reconstruct this manually. Do you have any version of the edit you can use for reference? Do you have the audio?
Andy
March 17, 2009 11:14AM
It is possible. I've had some media that went offline and still played alright in FCP, and you can still export a SCQT movie (complete with audio as I did an audio mixdown), but FCP may or may not reference it and everything on the timeline needs to have been rendered.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 17, 2009 12:17PM
i was hoping to turn the render files into qt's some how. I can see and here them via quick look. The TL was destroyed years ago. i don't need a good edit i am just getting the piece of footage i have left into an editable situation to just string together with 1 song for his sister.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
March 17, 2009 12:30PM
You finished a project and don't have the master footage, the editing files, an exported movie file of the final cut, or a tape master copy...?

But you kept the render files -- the most fragile files in the editing process...?

www.derekmok.com
March 17, 2009 12:31PM
>i was hoping to turn the render files into qt's some how

They are full quality QT movie files. Just drag them out of the render folder.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 17, 2009 12:39PM
Nothing needs to be done to the render files, they are already in exactly the format/codec of the timeline they were originally rendered from (after all, they are what play in the timeline when you've rendered something). I just dragged some old render files into FCP 5.1.4 and they are good old DV-NTSC. I would recommend copying/renaming them into a source folder so they don't get confused with actual render files that might arise from this process.

Just remember that audio and video render to different places, and there are no render files for clips that never needed rendering in the first place.

Scott
March 17, 2009 01:11PM
Yeah, that works folks.

the family had 5 dvd copies they are all damaged or missing. i did have a dvd copy of the final but it seems to be missing. (been looking for a year) I might have lost it in the move. The editing on it is very elementary but i love this piece.

They are distant family but they had 254 hrs of footage on him alone. 1st bike, graduation , ball games, every xmas & birthday, pranks, cookouts....ect. It was amazing what they had. from 16 & 8mm - dv.

Derek, i kept 2 drives 1 with media (separated) and 1 with render, constant frames and auto-save (and such). The drive with the media has rusted from a hole in the bad and i have no idea were that much moisture came from. It has been sitting for 7 years after 1 relocation.

Its spring cleaning time and i just built a cabinet perfect for drive storage complete with an automated dehumidifier.

""""
March 18, 2009 08:29AM
problem solved i know,
but as stated, yeah is possible,
but might require some sifting..

in general they should be able to be sorted by date,
and then some jigsaw puzzle work may be involved.

having some sort of guide would be essential, IMO,
but if you got by without one,
good luck to you

nick
March 18, 2009 11:20AM
There is a program for the PC that only costs $29.99 and it allows you to mount
damaged DVDs.
I have used it for all sorts of data extraction or video or audio CD work where the client
had forgot to finalize the DVD or CD.

google isobuster

J.Corbett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, that works folks.
>
> the family had 5 dvd copies they are all damaged
> or missing. i did have a dvd copy of the final but
> it seems to be missing. (been looking for a year)
> I might have lost it in the move. The editing on
> it is very elementary but i love this piece.
>
> They are distant family but they had 254 hrs of
> footage on him alone. 1st bike, graduation , ball
> games, every xmas & birthday, pranks,
> cookouts....ect. It was amazing what they had.
> from 16 & 8mm - dv.
>
> Derek, i kept 2 drives 1 with media (separated)
> and 1 with render, constant frames and auto-save
> (and such). The drive with the media has rusted
> from a hole in the bad and i have no idea were
> that much moisture came from. It has been sitting
> for 7 years after 1 relocation.
>
> Its spring cleaning time and i just built a
> cabinet perfect for drive storage complete with an
> automated dehumidifier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics