Separating 720 from 480

Posted by J.Corbett 
Separating 720 from 480
March 19, 2009 01:27PM
is there a way to take 1 frame and separate the interlaced horizontal lines from the vertical. If this is possible can it be done to a 5 second clip.

I want to put the H on v2 and the V on v1 then apply motion to them and have them come together over 5secs.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Separating 720 from 480
March 19, 2009 01:45PM
What?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 19, 2009 02:00PM
March 19, 2009 02:17PM
There are no "vertical lines." The CCIR-601 specification (now Rec. 601) that defined a digital representation of analog television calls for 720 luminance and 360 chrominance samples per line, and computers naturally interpret this as "pixels" in each scan line (with some fancy math to properly co-site every other chrominance sample), but that's just a mapping of what's essentially a scanned imaging system to a raster imaging system.

Short version? Your question is conceptually invalid.

And if you think about it for a second, you'll see why. Cut a piece of paper into thin strips running left to right. Those are your scan lines. Now set those aside, and cut the remaining paper into vertical strips. What do you mean there's no remaining paper?

And thus the student was enlightened.

March 19, 2009 02:49PM
Someone has been watching too much "Outer Limits..."

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 19, 2009 03:01PM
As far as I know there are no vertical "lines" in video frame. To create one you should make a mask in photoshop. Still, I think 1 px wide "stripes" aren't going to look that hot. It will probably make your footage look darker at best. Here's an example (down 50%)

Original:

With vertical "scan-lines"

BTW Corbett, you are posting a lot of stuff with almost nothing to do with FCP. Haven't you noticed how much "flak" you are receiving? PLS, cut down a bit and I am sure people will reward you with meaningful answers to your questions spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 19, 2009 04:46PM
Thanks Monk Harrell and Sinsay Nasty. I will fetch water from the stream for you to have a cool drink.

ok
what i am attempting to do is to create a mesh that comes together to be a picture which becomes a video. i can then overlay the video to get rid of the darkness.

I had also thought about just using the rgb as 3 separate tiles but i thought the scan lines would be cooler.

I will try nicks method.

This post may not be a fcp question though thats were i thought i could do this. Respectfully , My last few post were:

1. Using Render Files for reconstruction - cafe
2. Sub-Zero RGB - Blue Black - color
3. Google Sketch up in FCP - cafe
4. Codec Levels - cafe
5. Long GOP for Dummies -cafe
6. Why would I want to...... - cafe

this confuses me number 6 is about 3:2 pulldown. number 3 is about getting a file into fcp. Can you guys tell me which ones are not a topic for the forum and why. So i will not post those type topics. i can understand why on this post and number 3, though the why not could apply to getting files from adobe products also.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
March 19, 2009 05:37PM
Maybe you want to create a mesh with a video projected onto it?

So the camera pulls back revealing the mesh and as you get further away you see that it is a picture then far enough away to see its a complete video still?

Do this in Motion or After Effects.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 19, 2009 09:16PM
thanks Ben at the pub. <-- british slang i think.

yeah you are right. This is motion.

I started thinking that maybe i need to think of putting the clip under a custom 3 pixel stencil of some kind. Then duplicating that and shift the stencil in the copied group. Reverse key and that should do it.

I really need to remove any thought that fcp is an effects machine also. I been using Color a lot over the last few months and I know what people mean by dedicate color suite.

I really need to remove any thought that fcp is an effects machine also. I been using Color a lot over the last few months and I know what people mean by dedicate color suite now. I don't thing about color in fcp anymore. It feels faster.

yeah, this thread was not a cafe issue because fcp is not the place you think about things like this. It can do a lot but that doesn't mean it should.

""""
March 20, 2009 08:32AM
The word...is SENSEI

[en.wikipedia.org]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics