Suggestions for low quality video export

Posted by DM 
DM
Suggestions for low quality video export
March 22, 2009 09:25PM
I need to export a reference video for OMF editing in Pro Tools. The sequence is about 40 minutes. I don't need full quality DV as I'm just using the file as a visual reference for audio editing. The picture size only needs to be about 2 or 3 inches wide.
I'm trying export QT movie, NOT self-contained using the offline RT option. It says it will take about 16 minutes to export the 40 minute sequence.

Looking for even faster but usable options?

thx

FC suite 5.1.4
Re: Suggestions for low quality video export
March 22, 2009 09:26PM
If your timeline and source footage are all DV, then exporting anything other than DV will take a lot longer than just exporting DV and being done with it.

DM
March 22, 2009 09:32PM
I guess your serious. It is all DV but isn't there a down and dirty export option? I don't care about quality
March 22, 2009 09:36PM
Clearly not, since you're using DV in the first place. winking smiley

Are you sending this out to be mixed? Then send whatever your audio engineer wants. If you're mixing it yourself, use DV if it's compatible (I don't know ProTools) and if it's not, use whatever's compatible.

Given that we're talking about a grand total of fifteen minutes here, I really don't see much of an issue with just using whatever you tried first.

(Though obviously you should not try to send out a reference movie.)

March 22, 2009 09:41PM
Sixteen minutes for a 40-minute Sequence isn't fast enough for you?

You do need some quality -- have to be able to read the timecode burn and judge sync. The fact is, going to a lower-end codec and at lower data rates will not necessarily save on export time, because there's more compression and computation involved.

If you can't spare 16 minutes to prep your sound-mix deliverables (do timing and sync comparisons with your original timeline, for example), I think you need to review how you budget your time in post-production. For a 40-minute film, half a day to a day isn't too much time for something as important as overall sound sync.

www.derekmok.com
DM
March 22, 2009 09:52PM
Well Ok, sounds like there's no faster work-around.
basically, my process isn't too complicated. The dv footage is cut with the 6 audio tracks sync'd up. I'm leaving all mixing, fades and audio effects for Pro Tools.
I'm now exporting an OMF file to PT and want to export a cheap visual of the track. A scratch visual is all I need.
It's all music performance and all I want is a visual of where the picture fades are etc.... I'm not shifting any time or doing anything related to sync in PT. that demands a better visual image. I could do the audio work without the picture if I had to. It's just nice to have the visual reference to add the other dimension.
March 22, 2009 10:11PM
> It's all music performance and all I want is a visual of where the picture fades are etc.... I'm not
> shifting any time or doing anything related to sync in PT.

Yeah, but you can't guarantee that mistakes in Pro Tools won't result in your audio going wrong even if the original picture is right.

Take my word for it: Make a slightly bigger file with clear timecode burns, the complete frame rate (matching your timeline exactly, and check before you send it off) and clean enough to check sync. A little bit of time and storage space spent now can save you days of time and potentially a complete remix just because something drifted. It's not worth it to skimp at this point.

www.derekmok.com
DM
March 22, 2009 10:24PM
case closed.
thanks
March 22, 2009 10:56PM
Yeah seriously- 2 or 3 inches- sub DV- sound editors need to see the picture too. smiling smiley

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
DM
March 22, 2009 11:58PM
Ah..... I knew there was a musician out there somewhere smiling bouncing smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics