OT: Merging Old Interviews with New Interviews

Posted by J.Corbett 
OT: Merging Old Interviews with New Interviews
March 27, 2009 12:59PM
I have interviews with my governor done at 3 different times and 3 different locales.

INTV-1
This was done in nov 07 outside, at mid-day, on a park bench. The interview was lav'ed and there isn't much ambient noise (-24db)

INTV-2
This was done in mid 08 at night, inside with a small window (10% of the BG) in the background, in which you can see that there are some night lights from businesses across a parking lot. You can definitely tell that it is night in this small window. (-40db ambience)

INTV-3
This was done in early 09, in his office, with a large window covered by white blinds with sunshine peeking thru the blind's very small cracks. The light in the window does not cast on the subject or BG. You can just see it. (-40db ambience)

There are 5 similar in each questions and i need to use 3 them to show a certain progression in one case and to add more info in other cases.

I have never seen an interview cut like this before without a VO which announces the venue and date switch. I was hoping to use lower 3rds to negate the voice over (as asked by client).

Does someone have any suggestions as to how to cut these older interviews in so that it doesn't feel/look like bad interruptions? (different locations, clothing...ect)

Does anyone have an example of an interview that was put together from several interviews in drastically different locations and clothing?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: OT: Merging Old Interviews with New Interviews
March 27, 2009 01:20PM
> I have never seen an interview cut like this before without a VO which announces the venue
> and date switch.

Huh?

> Does someone have any suggestions as to how to cut these older interviews in so that it doesn't
> feel/look like bad interruptions?

Yeah. It's called "B-roll".

www.derekmok.com
March 27, 2009 01:32PM
This idea might be craptacular for this specific project, but ? consider embracing it. Consider using the jump cut artistically somehow, in the context of your show. Blah blah Goddard, blah blah "Breathless," blah blah that VW "Bubble Boy" spot from 2002.

Maybe that would be a terrible creative choice in this context; I really have no idea. But it's at least worth considering for a minute or two. But if you decide to use it, make sure the choice is motivated and that it advances the story rather than popping the viewer out of it.

March 27, 2009 03:02PM
Ok thanx maybe i could come up with some organic, new age, aged, color film look other than bleaching and the infamous SEPIA/GRAIN monster.

its just plain odd to me having to pull from such differently filmed sources. I tried to story board it to look like a progression of time but it became choppy and some of the points that need to be made gets lost.

Derek
Yeah. It's called "B-roll".

I was apprehensive of B-Rolling it each time because there are very nice cuts that i could make in the content. Such as one paragraph from one interview seamlessly matching another in body movement and attitude.

This shows consistency and stalwartness which is a strong trait for politicians. I wanted to show this in at least 2 places over 3.5-min.s.

The one outside interview has some young teenagers (12-15) in the background doing art on large canvases. He has a 18 second clip that is a perfect follow up to the slightly pithy answer he gave at the night interview about extending the arts in high schools.

Things like that.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
March 27, 2009 05:04PM

I was apprehensive of B-Rolling it each time because there are very nice cuts that i could make in the content. Such as one paragraph from one interview seamlessly matching another in body movement and attitude.

This shows consistency and stalwartness which is a strong trait for politicians. I wanted to show this in at least 2 places over 3.5-min.s.

Actually its called "bore the audience..."

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 27, 2009 06:04PM
So, you are suggesting b-rolling no matter how nice back to back might be.

I don't mind b-rolling at all but i was hoping to find a clever way to use the raw cut. Maybe 4-5s from the out going clip and 6-9s of the incoming clip. I would be coming out of b-roll on v2 then going to talking head 5s on v1 then the raw cut then 5s talking head outside then back to v2.

Is this just a complete no no in editing?

""""
March 27, 2009 06:13PM
No if a cut back to back works then use it but...

You shoot B-Roll footage to cover the edits that don't work and to make an otherwise talking head interesting and hopefully to illustrate a point or simply set the scene and put the piece in context...

ALWAYS shoot coverage not least for the event when you have to make cuts that don't work in vision.

If you want a seamless edit of a single subject then shoot multicam of different size framing and/or angles that you can intercut.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 27, 2009 06:20PM
>i was hoping to find a clever way to use the raw cut.

It's content over style. Content dictates the editing style. It all starts from making the content compelling.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 27, 2009 06:26PM
THANKS, i got ya. They were multi-cam. I was just tired of the b-roll always covering cuts and when i made my marks i noticed a few very nice cuts that i thought could be approached differently.

yeah strypes, these 2 edits were screaming no b-roll to me.

Thanks for the help on the visual philosophies.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics