Playhead stops at edit point

Posted by Katrin1980 
Playhead stops at edit point
April 08, 2009 09:57AM
As I described in the topic about the "Two fists one heart" footage topic my playhead stops in the Timeline as soon as I edit something in from the Viewer. It stops on the last frame, then moves on and stops again on the next edit.
Does someone know what's wrong?
Re: Playhead stops at edit point
April 08, 2009 11:22AM
I'm not sure I completely understand the question. Doing anything in the viewer will stop the playhead if it's moving in the timeline. In fact, there's not much that WON'T stop the playhead.

However, if you're saying that when you hit play in the timeline that the playhead stutters (starts/stops) at every edit, then that's certainly cause for concern.

My first guess would be some kind of codec problem with the footage. Does it do this in any project, or just a particular one?

If just one project, you may have a corrupt project or sequence. I would select all the clips in the timeline, and create a brand new project/sequence, and paste the clips in the new sequence and see if it plays any better.

Regarding the codec issue, if the codec seems fine (ie: it's not H.264 or something not meant for editing), you might want to try running the file through compressor and transcoding it into the same codec. That has cleared up some issues I've had with glitchy clips in the past.

Andy
April 08, 2009 11:59AM
Andy Neil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, if you're saying that when you hit play
> in the timeline that the playhead stutters
> (starts/stops) at every edit, then that's
> certainly cause for concern.
>
> My first guess would be some kind of codec problem
> with the footage. Does it do this in any project,
> or just a particular one?
>
> If just one project, you may have a corrupt
> project or sequence. I would select all the clips
> in the timeline, and create a brand new
> project/sequence, and paste the clips in the new
> sequence and see if it plays any better.
>
> Regarding the codec issue, if the codec seems fine
> (ie: it's not H.264 or something not meant for
> editing), you might want to try running the file
> through compressor and transcoding it into the
> same codec. That has cleared up some issues I've
> had with glitchy clips in the past.
>
> Andy

That's what I meant...after I edited something from the viewer into the timeline and hit the spacebar it stops at the last frame of each edit point.
I tried to create a new sequence but it didn't help.
Also I'm obviously the only one that happened to because all the other ppl downloading the footage didn't seem to have any problems with it.sad smiley
April 08, 2009 12:03PM
ok, I changed the codec to Apple proress and now it's working even though the render bar is red after changing the codec. before the codec was set on H.264 ... I checked the "do you want to adjust sequence settings to footage" box and then it chose H.264 ...
why is H.264 not meant for editing just for exporting?
April 08, 2009 12:27PM
H.264 is a delivery codec, not an editing one although sometimes you can get away with it. It's always best practice to transcode the footage before editing. I suspect that all you did was change the codec in the sequence which is why everything is red.

Do this. Take your source footage and drop it into Compressor. Use the ProRes preset to convert the source footage to ProRes. Of course if the footage is standard def, you can lower the file size by transcoding to DV or DV50, but if you're working with HD frame sizes, then ProRes is a good choice.

When compressor has finished encoding all your source, reimport it into your project and edit in your ProRes timeline. No more red render line.

Andy
April 08, 2009 12:48PM
hah, amazing, thank you!grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics