editing transitions difficulty

Posted by muleygrrl 
editing transitions difficulty
April 07, 2009 09:28AM
why is it sometimes when I want to add a transition effect it goes in fine and other times it's so little it's barely visible and still other times I get this message about not enough content to edit?

what am I doing wrong when I make the cut that creates an unsuitable edge for the transition to fit? that's it, right? how can I cut so I can make whatever kind of transition I want? it certainly doesn't appear to be anything to do with the length of the clip - this happens on longer subclips as well as short ones.
Re: editing transitions difficulty
April 07, 2009 09:32AM
Sounds as if you don't have enough handles

[www.fcpbook.com]
April 07, 2009 09:38AM
> it certainly doesn't appear to be anything to do with the length of the clip

It definitely has to do with the length of the clip.

Transitions need "handles". When you cut two clips together, the first clip ("outgoing clip"winking smiley ends at the cut point, and the second ("incoming clip"winking smiley starts at the cut point.

But when you place a transition onto the cut, both clips now require more footage to complete the transition. If a one-second transition is "centered" on the cut, in NTSC video (29.97fps), then the outgoing clip now needs 15 frames more footage after the cut, and the incoming clip needs 15 frames more footage before the cut.

The only way around this is to edit differently to make enough handles for the transition -- for example, make the transition shorter, or make it start at the edit or end at the edit, instead of centered.

www.derekmok.com
April 07, 2009 09:57AM
And subclips definitely can make this annoying. Subclips by default are limited to their in and out points. Even if the subclip comes from the middle of the master clip.

Somewhere in the Menu is a command to Remove Subclip Limits. That should help with the subclips from the interior of the master clip. Any subclips that include the first or last frame of the master clip will need to have their in or out points adjusted to accomodate the transition.

I'm not in front of my computer to look up where the Remove Subclip Limits command lives. You could look it up in the Command List in the Tools Menu.

debe
April 07, 2009 10:15AM
> And subclips definitely can make this annoying.

Yes, but under normal circumstances, subclips really should have been created with the same principles in mind as in logging: In narrative, the subclip's In and Out points really should encompass the entire shot until the camera cuts out, so you have the entire clip to use. If subclipping made it impossible for the editor to use certain transitions in a graceful way, then I'd say there was something off about the subclipping in the first place.

www.derekmok.com
April 07, 2009 12:30PM
I whole-heartedly agree with you, Derek.

I've spent years of trying to explain this to my producers who log their own talking heads... it just doesn't seem to stick with most of them.

I'm forever removing subclip limits from SOTs so I can make a transition. They *think* they are making my job easier by giving me really tight timelines. They glaze over when I try to explain to them that they are achieving the opposite.

debe
April 07, 2009 12:33PM
> They *think* they are making my job easier by giving me really tight timelines.

Ooh...painful memories for me as well.

That's why I don't let anybody, whom I didn't train, to log or subclip footage for me.

www.derekmok.com
April 07, 2009 12:36PM
One of the benefits of not being freelance, I s'pose!

We wee freelancers don't necessarily get called in soon enough to take control over logging.
April 08, 2009 01:25AM
I think this is the info I'm looking for.

I sort of understand about the handles; I'd already looked it up.

Are you saying if I want to make a subclip, after I figure out my in and out points, then I should add 15 frames from there and THEN cut? would that make it all right? honestly I don't see how; and sometimes I've tried to add more and it didn't seem to work, maybe it would accept the transition but it would be very small and not let me make it bigger. then when the clip runs it's hardly noticeable at all! not good if I wanted a dissolve sad smiley

I don't understand WHY. sorry to be so thickheaded about this - what difference does adding 15 frames make? how does FCP know? what's going on?? seriously I don't get this.

*when I said it doesn't seem to make any difference on the length of the clip - it doesn't. I've had this problem w/clips over several seconds and had shorter ones accept a transition perfectly.
April 08, 2009 01:36AM
*subclip limits*

I know how to do this and have before - but this just turns a sub back into the main clip and shows the in and out points. why is this useful and why should I do it?
April 08, 2009 01:40AM
Derek
The only way around this is to edit differently to make enough handles for the transition -- for example, make the transition shorter, or make it start at the edit or end at the edit, instead of centered.

basically, this is what I want to do. I want to edit differently so this doesn't happen. It only happens sporadically and I don't know what I am doing that makes it happen and believe I can avoid it but don't know how.

*also* how do I place a transition only on one end or the other? right now I'm clicking on the little "I beam" which shows up between to clips on the timeline and when it's highlighting, adding the transition.

How do I tell it to just go right or left and not center?

thanks!
April 08, 2009 02:50AM
Select the transition, OPTION-1 for Start on Edit, OPTION-3 for End on Edit.

www.derekmok.com
April 08, 2009 04:44AM
thanks Derek - I so appreciate you folks on this site - !

now - uh hem - how can I cut so I'm always sure to have enough handles on my clips?? is that possible? is it a trade-secret ?? can you share??
April 08, 2009 10:36AM
> how can I cut so I'm always sure to have enough handles on my clips?? is that possible? is it a
> trade-secret?

You can't make your initial editing decisions based on a technical limitation such as handles.

You decide your edits based on what's best for the content. If the footage were properly prepped, you usually shouldn't run into insufficient handles -- there should be enough pre-roll and post-roll to execute what you need. Hence my discussion with Deb E. above -- a good assistant editor should not throw out the "garbage" before and after your take. You don't do close edits at the logging or subclipping stage; you are just parcelling out shots, with the intent of retaining as many options as possible in editing.

So, I'd probably say, all of us do exactly what you did -- we make the best edits possible, then if we have a problem with handles on a transition, we adjust.

It helps to learn tricks such as slipping, ripple edit, rolling, and trimming:

Trimming: Roll and Ripple edit fall into this category. You can also select an edit point using the Ripple or Roll tools, which would allow you to trim one side of the edit (eg. make the incoming clip start later). Another very useful technique is selecting an edit point with Arrow, Roll or Slip, and then entering numbers on the keypad to perform the trim. For example, use the Ripple tool (see Tom Wolsky's post above), select the left side of the edit, and enter -15 on the number pad. That shaves 15 frames off the Out point of the outgoing clip without changing the incoming clip. Hard to explain on paper. Try it.

Roll: R Moves an edit point between two clips, If you Roll an edit back one second, your outgoing clip will end one second earlier and your incoming clip will start one second earlier.

Ripple: RR is the shortcut for the Ripple tool. Adds or takes away from a clip without affecting any others. If you Ripple the left side of an edit back one second, the outgoing clip will end one second earlier, but the incoming clip will be completely unaffected.

Slip: S is the shortcut for the Slip tool. Changes the In and Out points of the clip without changing the overall duration. For example, if you use the Slip tool to single-click a clip and then enter -100, your clip will start one second earlier and end one second earlier, but retain its place on the timeline.

There are times when you have to resort to tricks to complete a transition. For example, freeze-framing or slowing a shot so that it lasts long enough for a transition, or looping the shot. These techniques carry a penalty, though -- the feel will be different, and will not fit all situations.

www.derekmok.com
April 08, 2009 04:00PM
it's interesting you bring up these other tools because I've tried to go back in when I have problems with the transition and try to use the ripple and/or roll, etc. and as often as not will come back with another message - media limit on "x."

but I didn't want to introduce another error message on top of the first one!!

I know you all are here to help but I feel like I'm barraging you w/qs and the guilt is enormous! sad smiley

thanks for being so patient!
April 08, 2009 04:18PM
> as often as not will come back with another message - media limit on "x."

That's probably because you're using the Slip and Ripple tools with your timeline zoomed out too far. At that distance, it's just a few millimetres' difference between slipping one second and slipping 26.

Learn to zoom in closer before doing trims, and learn to use the number pad for minute accuracy.

www.derekmok.com
April 08, 2009 10:14PM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > as often as not will come back with another
> message - media limit on "x."
>
> That's probably because you're using the Slip and
> Ripple tools with your timeline zoomed out too
> far. At that distance, it's just a few
> millimetres' difference between slipping one
> second and slipping 26.
>
> Learn to zoom in closer before doing trims, and
> learn to use the number pad for minute accuracy.

OMG!!! I did NOT know this - thank you thank you for explaining it!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics